Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Numbers going a little crazy

1. Back To Top    #1

Numbers going a little crazy

Hi guys! I appreciate all the help I got when starting the BBB a little over a month ago. Up until now we have had great success and have been enjoying a nice clear pool. On average we had been holding steady at FC 8.5, CC 0, PH 7.2/7.4, TA 120-130, CYA 40

On the 28th of this September our numbers started to change: FC 11, CC 0, PH 7.2, TA 100, CH 140, CYA 60

Now tonight, the numbers are all sorts of crazy and I'm not quite sure where to go from here. Our numbers tonight are FC 17, CC 0, PH is off the charts, it actually turned to the color purple, TA 90, CYA 65.

I can't quite figure out what is causing the sudden shift in numbers or how to get them back in line. Any suggestions?
    16' x 48" Round Intex Vinyl AGP
    Intex 56633EG 2500 GPH Pump
    Taylor K-2006 Test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Numbers going a little crazy

As the water gets colder and with less sunlight on the pool, you'll lose less FC each day. Are you testing before adding bleach? Or are you blindly adding bleach on the basis of previous use? I assume you don't have an SWCG.
    14.5K gal Plaster IGP, Intelliflo VS, EasyTouch 8, SWG, IntellipH, Clear and Clean 420 Cartridge Filter, Attached Spa, H400IDL2 NG Heater

3. Back To Top    #3

+1 to above question.

BTW, the pH test will read falsely high when the FC > 10ppm ... so ignore that for now.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

4. Back To Top    #4

We would normally add bleach after testing, but because the FC has been so high we haven't added any in about a week. We do have a floater with 2 pucks that sit in the pool, I guess that could be counter productive. The smell of bleach has been a bit more prominent as well. While typing this something is telling me to take out the puck floater. We do not have an SWCG, just the 2500 Intex pump.
    Taylor K-2006 Test kit

5. Back To Top    #5

Take out the floater! It is raising your FC and your CYA. Keep testing and you should see the FC start to drop.

Of course, with a CYA of 65, your target FC is now 7.
    Blaine

50' x 22' 27k gal shotcrete freeform, 2hp 2 sp Pentair Whisperflo, Pool Pilot RC-52 SWCG, Pentair TR 100 sand filter, Polaris 280, 2 Pentair Intellibrite LED lights with controller, french gray plaster, Butterfield U-20 "smoke"integral colored salt finish concrete cantilever deck on one side, flagstone coping on the other.

My pool build:
    osage-hills-pool-build-t50526.html

6. Back To Top    #6

Thank you so much!
    Taylor K-2006 Test kit

7. Back To Top    #7

A typical chlorine/bleach smell is due to CC ... not having high FC. Although there have been reports of people indicating a smell due to the pucks that goes away when they switch to bleach (and some films in the skimmer as well IIRC).
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

8. Back To Top    #8

TFP Guide

I used a puck for a little while to add CYA. I noticed the bleachy smell. It disappeared when the puck was gone, so I figured that's where the smell came from. I kept sniffing the pool all summer when using the bleach and never got an odor from the water. Just once I smelled it otherwise, because I had gotten some on my hands, lol.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

9. Back To Top    #9

Quote Originally Posted by jblizzle
    A typical chlorine/bleach smell is due to CC ... not having high FC. Although there have been reports of people indicating a smell due to the pucks that goes away when they switch to bleach (and some films in the skimmer as well IIRC).
    My puck feeder feeds the stair returns. Before I took out the last puck even on the lowest setting that area smelled like bleach. I think trichlor just smells like bleach/chlorine/ etc.

- Sent using Tapatalk
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump