Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Random Questions

1. Back To Top    #1

Random Questions

We recently purchased a pool this summer. Being the uneducated buyer that I appear to be, I have some questions:
    • How long can we expect things to last like pump, solar cover, other?
      We don't have a heater yet, but is there a best time to purchase based on typical sale cycles?
      Again with a gas heater, how long can we expect it to last?
      Related to heating, is there a good analysis that would help me decide the cost/life/heating capability trade-offs?
      During a normal season, how can I determine how long to run my pump for?
      My cartridge filter has a pressure gauge that goes up to 100 IIRC. I typically run about 2. Can I use a different gauge that goes to a much lower max?
    24' round above ground, 13500 gallons, vinyl liner, cartridge filter, Jandy Legacy 175,000 BTU heater, unused Zodiak Nature2 mineral sanitizer

John 1:12 "But to all who did receive him, who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God"

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Random Questions

I inherited a pool this summer, so I am new as well, but have been reading this site regularly. There are people on here who say they've had the same pump for 30 years, so I think, depending on how they are built and maintained, that they can and do go a while. Others have had them go out after just a few years.

Solar covers - Just bought mine about a month ago, but consensus seems to be that they last about 3 seasons and that is about it, and it doesn't much matter if you pay up for the heavier guage ones, therefore, go cheap. That is what I did.

Heater - no experience, but I am strongly considering solar panels for next season. You might look into that as I would guess they are much cheaper in terms of initial investment and of course, the heat is free. The combination of solar cover and solar heat seems to get people a good 10-15 degree increase in water temp.
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

3. Back To Top    #3

And I missed your last two questions:

How long to run your pump - I think there may be something on this somewhere in pool school, but the rule of thumb is you want to turn your water at least once a day, but there are other variables. I was so paranoid at first that I was running it 24 hours. As I realized this was overkill, I dropped it to 12 hours and saw no difference in water clarity. By late August/early September I was down to 8 hours (which should turn my water twice) and everything still looked good. I do have a pretty light bather load though.

Can't recall what my pressure guage goes to, but I'm sure it is less than 100. You can get a new one for under $20, probably closer to $10. My pressure has consistently been about 10-12 psi.
    Dedicated TFPer since 2012 with recommended test kit
    Above ground, 30 foot round pool, 21,000 gallons
    Hayward 150 sq foot cartridge filter, 1HP Waterway pump
    Raypak 400K BTU NG Heater!
    Installed in 2006? (just a guess, pool came with house I purchased in June 2012)

4. Back To Top    #4

Liquid filled gauges are said to be more accurate and long lived.

- Sent using Tapatalk
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Pauls234
    How long to run your pump - I think there may be something on this somewhere in pool school, but the rule of thumb is you want to turn your water at least once a day, but there are other variables.
    Here's the Pool school article on determining pump run time: http://www.troublefreepool.com/pool-.../pump_run_time.
    This is the method I used to establish my typical pump run time. Went from 10-12 hours/day before BBB to 4-5 hrs/day under BBB. With proper FC maintenance, the water was actually clearer than before. As Pauls234 mentions, there are other variables to consider. I increase my pump run time after events such as a pool party, heavy rain, or an increase in wind-blown debris that necessitates extra filtering time.

As for the gauges, I prefer glycerin-filled. More accurate and longer-lived than non-liquid filled gauges. I would suggest a PSI range of either 0-60 (preferred) or 0-100. Typical filter pressures run somewhere between 12-25 PSI depending on equipment, valve settings, and how clean/dirty the filter is. A good source of gauges is http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/category_gauges

Our pool heater is 22 years old. Has a few cosmetic "age spots" but still cranks out the heat. Plan on keeping it until it quits or needs an expensive repair that justifies a new one. Run the heater periodically to get the most life out of it. This will keep rust at bay.
    Gold Supporter, TFP Lifetime Supporter, 26,680 gal Plaster IGP 3.5 - 10' depth / Attached Waterfall Spa, Manually Chlorinated, Triton Sand Filter, 1.5 HP * 1.1 SF = 1.65 SFHP 1-speed Pentair WhisperFlo WF-26 Pump, 400K BTU NG Teledyne Laars Series One Heater, Polaris 360, Test Kit Comparison, Chlorine/CYA Chart, SLAMing Your Pool, OCLT
    A good test kit is an investment, not an expense.