Using stone outcroppings

sp718

Oct 3, 2012
I am in the process of designing our pool. We have decided on a vinyl, steel wall pool and we live in Ohio. I would like to create a pond look and would like to have stone outcropping around some of the pool edges. I am struggling with finding someone who has done this, and who knows the logistics. First, does the weight of the stones on the edge of the pool cause a problem with the pool structure? Second, if I can achieve the look I want, how do I cover it in the winter without causing "dead space" and gaps from the stones along the edges? Any help and info is appreciated! I don't want to give up my vision, but I don't want to compromise the pool structure or safety.

Welcome to TFP!!!

I do not think you can allow any of the stone weight to rest on the pool wall. You would have to cantilever it out over the pool ... I seem to recall a thread on a similar thing with pictures awhile back. You might can try to search for it.

I am not sure about the cover concerns.

What you are describing is very much like what we are in the process of building. The builder is going to put block under where the larger rocks will go to help support the rock. We may even pour a small concrete pad under the rocks themselves to distribute the weight. We, too, are going for a pond effect with waterfall, crab orchard stone pool coping - natural look - black granite liner.

Best wishes on your pool build.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.