Lets hear your pool critter stories.

Re: Ducks...

ThePez said:
I got two ducks that are crapping, all over the place. Every time I see them I run out like a crazy person and scare 'em away, but I have a sneaking suspicion that I'm the only one in my family that does this. So from 7am to 5pm, the pool is all there's.

I've got news for you...

I've had the same pair of Mallards that have been coming back every spring for the last 4-5 years (at least - I didn't know they could live that long...). They initially showed up, and we thought "awwwww... so cute" - I'm sure they made a nest in the landscaping. Within a week, we had Crud on the rocks, Crud in the jacuzzi, Crud on the bottom of the pool, Crud on the deck... Crud everywhere.

And they show up like clockwork every March/April, and generally leave around May.

"It's Rabbit Season... It's Duck season... rabbit season... duck season..."

Definitely duck season.

- Jeff

Well, since 1946 we have had our share of beasties. 24" inch very angry snapping turtle in empty pool was one (our old pool wintered empty). I managed to hook his shell with a garden fork and get him into a 100lb HTH can. I had a friend who hated his neighbor who had a pond so.....

Also had a five-foot King Snake--scary looking but useful critter--whom we released nearby.

Then there was the skunk who was too sick or injured to get out of the empty pool. We put a ramp with fruits and veggies and he just couldn't move but he was still alive. It was Memorial Day and we had the whole family ready to scrub and fill. We finally hit it with two shotguns simultaneously. Chewed up the paint pretty good but didn't hurt a pool made out of 5/8" steel from WWII surplus LST's (Landing Ship--Tank). The shovel used for removal is probably still deep in the woods. Smell was not too bad once pool was full.

We always get a romanticly inclined pair of ducks in the spring, swimming in the water on top of our winter cover. Last year when we removed the winter cover, there was a snake skimming along the water going after a couple of frogs.

Unfortunately, during the swimming season we get chipmunks. I remember the first time, I had just pulled out the skimmer basket and looked down to see what I thought was a dead rat, when in reality it was a chipmunk :(

Last year, early summer a doe dropped off her baby fawn right outside the fence along our pool. Here's a pic of the little one:

Attachments

• BabyFawn4.jpg
    BabyFawn4.jpg
    463 KB · Views: 408
This afternoon, I took the solar cover off and scooped some debris off the bottom, then jumped in wearing my Aquajogger float for some pool running. First lap around while going under the diving board I saw something else joining me for a swim - a copperhead. Not large - maybe 10" long - but I understand the venom is more potent in young copperheads. Deciding I didn't really like his company, I got out, called in reinforcements, scooped him out with an old leaf net, and son #2 decapitated him with a spade.

Sorry for no pictures - I should have thought to go get the camera before doing away with him.

Love the topic and all the posts/pics. This is the third year for our inground pool with SWG. We have had all the usual bugs, small frogs and a few chipmunks.

The past two years we have had a huge frog that swims every night after it gets dark. I check the pool each morning at 6:00 AM while having my coffe and he is still there. He hops out when I go back in the house but returns each evening. If we are out on the deck at night we can here the "splash" when he makes his appearance.

100_0307.jpg

Our thing is frogs so far this year. We have had a snake in the skimmer, and we had one bobbing along once. I am TERRIFIED of snakes. We've also had moles, huge worms and a big turtle. Hubby's job is to clean out the skimmer. I always check the skimmer before swimming. Also, be sure to check in the skimmer well because something could be hiding where you can't see.

We had some friends with kids over once. We did not check the skimmer first, and the water started rocking in the pool. Out of the skimmer swam a big rat. I wish I had my video camera. It was hysterical. As everybody in the pool was screaming and swimming for the ladder, another person scooped the rat up in a net and flung him across the pool and over the fence. I kept thinking what if the rat had fallen out of the net on his way over the pool and landed on somebody!

PVille said:
Love the topic and all the posts/pics. This is the third year for our inground pool with SWG. We have had all the usual bugs, small frogs and a few chipmunks.

The past two years we have had a huge frog that swims every night after it gets dark. I check the pool each morning at 6:00 AM while having my coffe and he is still there. He hops out when I go back in the house but returns each evening. If we are out on the deck at night we can here the "splash" when he makes his appearance.

DANG!!! Now that's a frog!! :shock: :shock: I'm surprised you haven't had anything in the pool trying to catch him for dinner (like a snake!!).

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I haven't had any snakes, but I get the usual frogs, bugs, etc. A few years ago I went out one morning to clean the skimmer and get a water sample and when I removed the skimmer cover found a small bat stuggling. I got a stick, fished him out and placed him on a nearby tree for him to dry. A couple of hours later I went to check on him and he was gone. I also found a kitten floating in the pool one morning, that was probably the worst thing that I had to fish out.

Last week I went to empty the skimmer baskets and just before I stuck my hand in saw a water mocassin in the basket. I screamed, my 20 year old son was here, thankfully, but he isn't always the brightest bulb because he thought he'd kill it with his k-bar knife. I was like, umm, no either get the shovel or a pistol, he chose the shovel route. The day before the UPS man delivered a package to our neighbors, asked for a shovel and killed a water mocassin about 3 feet long. Yes, our UPS man does rock! The same day we found our snake the neighbor on the other side found one in his pool too. I hate snakes and my son is still making fun of me.

my first critter find was this morning. There it was floating... Looked like a turd at first but then I thought it was a field mouse except it was a little to big. A Rat??? Sort of but on closer inspection it had wbed type front paws and a weird head. I think it was a small mole. I felt horrible disposing of the little guy. I figured he just couldnt get out of the pool via the steps and wonder if I should insert something in there so that small critters can get out, Maybe something like a flexible ramp that they can get a footing on. Seriously I think if my son had seen it he would never swim in the pool.

gabagoo said:
my first critter find was this morning. There it was floating... Looked like a turd at first but then I thought it was a field mouse except it was a little to big. A Rat??? Sort of but on closer inspection it had wbed type front paws and a weird head. I think it was a small mole. I felt horrible disposing of the little guy. I figured he just couldnt get out of the pool via the steps and wonder if I should insert something in there so that small critters can get out, Maybe something like a flexible ramp that they can get a footing on. Seriously I think if my son had seen it he would never swim in the pool.

I'm pretty sure they do make something that allows critters to climb out of the pool, but I wouldn't shed a tear over a dead mole (or a hundred of them, in fact).

ETA: Here you go. Skamper Ramp .

Sometimes moles and other small rodents die of other causes and end up in the pool. Yesterday morning i had two moles on top of my solar cover, completely dry, but quite dead. One had an obvious head injury - I chose not to closely inspect the other! My theory: Some sort of predatory bird grabbed them, but was then frightened or attacked and happened to release them over the pool. The Scamper Ramp wouldn't have helped . . .

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.