Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: IS my PH too high

1. Back To Top    #1

IS my PH too high

I have 65000 litre concrete plaster pool with a SWG unit and I have the following numbers as per my Taylors kit.
    CL=1.60 PH=7.7 TA=100 CH=130 CYA=0 Water temp 16 celsius
    My Lsi index is -.42 as this is not too bad as water will warm up shortly. Is my PH high and should I be trying to get PH to about 7.5 but if I do, that pushes the LSI to -.62 which might be getting up on high side.
    What should I do push the CH up to about 200 so I can get the PH down a bit?
    Thaks in advance
    Pool size (50,000 lt /13000 gal), Concrete Plaster 2 years old
    Automatic SWG (Zodiac Pro) for chlorine and acid, Solar heated
    Taylor K-2006 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2
    SW Indiana

Re: IS my PH too high

Your CH needs to be more like 250ppm with plaster.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

3. Back To Top    #3

Dallas, TX

7.7 is acceptable. If it is stable there, I'd leave it alone, but I'm betting with that TA of 100 along with an SWG, your pH is going to float up. If so, you might visit Pool School and How To - Lower TA. And John is right, your CH needs to come up.
    Built in 1957 44,000 gallon in-ground, Wet Edge Primera Stone in Sky Blue, Intelliflo VF Pump, 600 lb. Pentair Triton II TR-100 Sand Filter, CircuPool RG 60 Plus SWG, TF-100 test kit
    If TFP has helped you, please click to SUPPORT TFP!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Nassau, Bahamas

yeah your TA is too high and pH will climb faster. we like to run TA at 70-80 so pH is much more stable and compensate a lower TA with a higher CH like 300-350. you can keep pH higher at like 7.8 to balance better in colder water. we like to aim for a CSI of -0.2 to -0.3 which helps keep cells clean.