Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: mustard algae(?) nuisance

1. Back To Top    #1

mustard algae(?) nuisance

I am noticing a recurring instance of what may be mustard algae even though my water is balanced, FC is appropriate for CYA, etc. I haven't noticed a particularly higher FC demand, but this yellow substance keeps coming back. Always in the same spot...deep end, the shaded wall. It does brush off, but requires more effort than I would think for algae. I have raised FC to mustard shock level and held it there until OCLT passed. Wonder what's going on here? Maybe it is not even algae?
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: mustard algae(?) nuisance

Sounds like a perfect description of mustard algae. I would maintain FC about 30% higher than suggested for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Cooler water temps will help, too. Possibly redirect eyeballs on returns to increase circulation in that area.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by duraleigh
    Sounds like a perfect description of mustard algae. I would maintain FC about 30% higher than suggested for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Cooler water temps will help, too. Possibly redirect eyeballs on returns to increase circulation in that area.
    Thanks for that. I think I will wait for cold temps before I hit it hard. Puzzling thing to me is that OCLT passes every time I check it and there is no persistent high FC demand. Furthermore, I have brought to shock level and held it for several days more than once. Each time I was convinced I had beaten it, but it keeps coming back accumulating very slowly. I have read stories here about others fighting mustard algae but I always wondered if they were exaggerating.

That's what I get I guess for sub par maintenance this year. Have not stayed on top of it as in year's past.
    20K gal IG plaster pool, Manually chlorinated with 6% bleach, 1.5 HP Sta-Rite Dura-Glas II pump, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE filter, Polaris 280

4. Back To Top    #4

If you have passed OCLT, assuming the shock process makes your unwanted guests go away, then I would run at a higher FC level. Run at mustard level, not shock, but the recommended level to maintain if you have a problem with mustard algae.

Remember to dose higher than you need, the number below is your absolute minimum. Never, ever go below, lest your pool join the dark side again.

For 60ppm CYA Mustard FC level is 9.0ppm.

Run it at that, no need to shock ATM since you passed OCLT multiple times, then keep her brushed and see what happens.

So long as it isn't coming from under a ladder or a light fixture, or some pipe, something somewhere, then you should be OK. But you won't know for sure till you try that.
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by y_not
    If you have passed OCLT, assuming the shock process makes your unwanted guests go away, then I would run at a higher FC level. Run at mustard level, not shock, but the recommended level to maintain if you have a problem with mustard algae.

Remember to dose higher than you need, the number below is your absolute minimum. Never, ever go below, lest your pool join the dark side again.

For 60ppm CYA Mustard FC level is 9.0ppm.

Run it at that, no need to shock ATM since you passed OCLT multiple times, then keep her brushed and see what happens.

So long as it isn't coming from under a ladder or a light fixture, or some pipe, something somewhere, then you should be OK. But you won't know for sure till you try that.
    Sensible advice. I'll try to get a handle on it over the fall/winter as I don't really close the pool.

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by Beez
    Sensible advice. I'll try to get a handle on it over the fall/winter as I don't really close the pool.
    Thanks!
    Do keep us posted, I love hearing how things turn out and the progress.
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D