Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: spa ph?

1. Back To Top    #1

spa ph?

Looks like over 5.10 cl can this make my ph low? Super yellow. I have been adding handful of sodium bicarb every week!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    25k I/G ecostar ccplus Polaris plaster

2. Back To Top    #2
    Tucson, AZ

Re: spa ph?

What are you using to add the FC?

Dichlor/trichlor are very acidic and can result in low pH.

EDIT: also baking soda has very little affect on pH, it is used to raise TA. You should be using washing soda/soda ash or borax to raise the pH. Review: Recommended Pool Chemicals
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

San Rafael, CA USA

Re: spa ph?

A high chlorine level can give a falsely high pH reading, but if you are getting yellow then the pH is truly too low. This looks like a Taylor kit so is it have a base demand test? If so, then it can give you an idea of how much pH Up you would need to raise the pH, though you could overshoot your TA so be careful. If you have a Taylor K-2006, use it to give us a full set of water chemistry parameters and we can help you raise the pH without overshooting TA -- basically using pH Up to get the pH/TA up and then if the pH need to be raised further, aerating the water by running the jets.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"