Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Need suggestions for spa cover

1. Back To Top    #1

Need suggestions for spa cover

Need a cover for our attached spa (below). It's nominally 6x9. Not interested in spending several hundred dollars (or more) for a custom made cover, at least not at this time.

The intent of the cover is strictly to keep the spa clean of debris, not concerned with insulating properties. My idea was to cut some plywood to fit and stain it to match the nearby cedar pavilion/deck. My wife nixed that idea - "too heavy". So maybe we can use some kind of sheet foam but obviously needs to be thick enough to have some rigidity. I believe I have read that it needs to be covered with vinyl or something to keep it from breaking down from exposure to the elements and the humidity from the pool water.

No idea where to obtain the necessary sheet foam and how to cover it.

[attachment=0:1zf7ogc3]spa resized.jpg[/attachment:1zf7ogc3]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    20K gal, inground with attached spa, pebblefina plaster (bella blue), flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Sundek - Indian wheat, (2) Jandy PHPM2.0 (filter pump and waterfall), Jandy DEV60 DE filter, Polaris 280 pool cleaner, Polaris Halcyon PB4-60Q booster pump, Polaris 1.5 HP Air Blower, (2) Jandy WaterColors LED lights, Jandy LXI400P Heater, Jandy AquaPure PLC1400 SWG, Jandy AquaLink RS PureLink Controller and PDA.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Need suggestions for spa cover

Quote Originally Posted by Stevereno

[attachment=0:329wh2mz]spa resized.jpg[/attachment:329wh2mz]
    Perhaps an auto upholstery shop could help you with both the foam and the vinyl?
    My Amazon Smile for November12K Fiberglass IG, Infinity 4000 automatic cover, SWCG, Hayward Sand Filter, Hayward 1.5 Pump, Doheny Discovery Robot, Savi Melody LED pool lights, outdoor speakers and other assorted doo-dads. Sundance Altamar Hot Tub.
    Our pool build--> Our Pool Solved Our Sloping Yard Skippy's Cheap Pool Cooler -->Skippy's New Fountain

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by YippeeSkippy
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevereno

[attachment=0f0v5dct]spa resized.jpg[/attachmentf0v5dct]
    Perhaps an auto upholstery shop could help you with both the foam and the vinyl?
    Maybe so, any other ideas folks?
    20K gal, inground with attached spa, pebblefina plaster (bella blue), flagstone coping, moss rock waterfall, Sundek - Indian wheat, (2) Jandy PHPM2.0 (filter pump and waterfall), Jandy DEV60 DE filter, Polaris 280 pool cleaner, Polaris Halcyon PB4-60Q booster pump, Polaris 1.5 HP Air Blower, (2) Jandy WaterColors LED lights, Jandy LXI400P Heater, Jandy AquaPure PLC1400 SWG, Jandy AquaLink RS PureLink Controller and PDA.

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

marine ply coated in bedliner

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

.5" thick, closed cell foam, cut to fit. Will insulate and keep the **** out. Buy at store that overhauls furniture.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!