Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Where to find Palapa Fasteners

1. Back To Top    #1

Where to find Palapa Fasteners

I am rebuilding a large palapa over an outdoor bar/kitchen. The palapa has a large (about 10" diameter) vertical center post with 2" poles radiating out from the top of the center post to support the thatch. It is basically nailed together. I would like to make it stronger and use better fasteners. While in Hawaii, I saw palapas at the resorts that were held together with round metal brackets that slipped over the 2" poles and fastened to the center pole. The brackets were essentially short pieces of thin walled tubing with slightly larger than 2" inner diameter and an angled piece at the end to attach to the main pole. I have been unable to find anything like these available commercially (in fact, I don't even know what to call them). Anyone know where I might get these brackets? I may end up at the local muffler shop to get them custom made.
    Thanks,
    Mike_W
    ~17' x 34' IG pool with attached spa - 20500 gallons - Gunite with a "pebblesheen"-ish finish
    Jandy iAqualink with iPad and Jandy PDA remote - Pentair IntelliFlo VS 11018 Pump
    AquaRite SWCG - Pentair SMBW 4060 DE Filter - Really Old Raypak heater
    "Wall-E" an Arneson-Hayward Navigator - A couple of Jandy/Zodiac WaterColors LED Lights - Blue-White F-1000 Flow meter

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Where to find Palapa Fasteners

They kind of sound that something that would be used to attach wood cross pieces to metal fence posts. Have you tried looking in fencing areas of stores or talked to a fence company.

Simpson Strong Tie makes a lot of parts like that.

THIS is what I had in my head, maybe that is not quite right?
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Where to find Palapa Fasteners

Thanks Jason. I had looked through the Simpson selection at the local HD and they did not have that one. I can probably use that one in some areas of the palapa. I'll post the results (with pictures) - hopefully soon.
    Mike
    ~17' x 34' IG pool with attached spa - 20500 gallons - Gunite with a "pebblesheen"-ish finish
    Jandy iAqualink with iPad and Jandy PDA remote - Pentair IntelliFlo VS 11018 Pump
    AquaRite SWCG - Pentair SMBW 4060 DE Filter - Really Old Raypak heater
    "Wall-E" an Arneson-Hayward Navigator - A couple of Jandy/Zodiac WaterColors LED Lights - Blue-White F-1000 Flow meter