Solid Safety Cover Use

Sep 17, 2012
Hi Folks,

Im back once again and hoping to get some general information from the pool experts on recommended use of a solid safety cover. My questions are as follows:

1) I have an inground 20 x 40 concrete pool (no tile) with a shallow end of 4 ft and a deep end of 8.5 ft. How low should i lower the water level? Some sites have said 12-18 inches. Furthermore, would this lowering start from coping/deck level or the bottom of the skimmer/weir opening?

2) The cover sags slightly in the middle (I attribute this to a cover pump and some pooling of water) Im assuming this slight sag is normal or should I tighten the springs?

3) Half of the springs are half compressed and the other half are fully extended. I figured I would leave some leeway for snowloads, is the cover too tight risking tears/damage or should I fully extend the rest of the springs? Any general rules of thumb for spring compression are welcome.

I would have uploaded pictures but my file sizes were too large, is there any way around this or somewhere else I can post these photos for reference on this site? Thanks

ajpello2003 said:
Hi Folks,

Im back once again and hoping to get some general information from the pool experts on recommended use of a solid safety cover. My questions are as follows:

1) I have an inground 20 x 40 concrete pool (no tile) with a shallow end of 4 ft and a deep end of 8.5 ft. How low should i lower the water level? Some sites have said 12-18 inches. Furthermore, would this lowering start from coping/deck level or the bottom of the skimmer/weir opening?

To just below the returns, this should be about 18" from the top of the pool.

2) The cover sags slightly in the middle (I attribute this to a cover pump and some pooling of water) Im assuming this slight sag is normal or should I tighten the springs?

A slight sag is normal.

3) Half of the springs are half compressed and the other half are fully extended. I figured I would leave some leeway for snowloads, is the cover too tight risking tears/damage or should I fully extend the rest of the springs? Any general rules of thumb for spring compression are welcome.

Only compress the springs to about 80% of their uncompressed length, adjust as the straps stretch.

I would have uploaded pictures but my file sizes were too large, is there any way around this or somewhere else I can post these photos for reference on this site? Thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.