Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solid Safety Cover Use

1. Back To Top    #1

Solid Safety Cover Use

Hi Folks,

Im back once again and hoping to get some general information from the pool experts on recommended use of a solid safety cover. My questions are as follows:

1) I have an inground 20 x 40 concrete pool (no tile) with a shallow end of 4 ft and a deep end of 8.5 ft. How low should i lower the water level? Some sites have said 12-18 inches. Furthermore, would this lowering start from coping/deck level or the bottom of the skimmer/weir opening?

2) The cover sags slightly in the middle (I attribute this to a cover pump and some pooling of water) Im assuming this slight sag is normal or should I tighten the springs?

3) Half of the springs are half compressed and the other half are fully extended. I figured I would leave some leeway for snowloads, is the cover too tight risking tears/damage or should I fully extend the rest of the springs? Any general rules of thumb for spring compression are welcome.

I would have uploaded pictures but my file sizes were too large, is there any way around this or somewhere else I can post these photos for reference on this site? Thanks
    Pool Details: 40k Inground Vinyl Liner Pool with Mesh Safety Covering

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Solid Safety Cover Use

How do you control how much the springs are compressed?
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

3. Back To Top    #3

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by ajpello2003
    Hi Folks,

Im back once again and hoping to get some general information from the pool experts on recommended use of a solid safety cover. My questions are as follows:

1) I have an inground 20 x 40 concrete pool (no tile) with a shallow end of 4 ft and a deep end of 8.5 ft. How low should i lower the water level? Some sites have said 12-18 inches. Furthermore, would this lowering start from coping/deck level or the bottom of the skimmer/weir opening?

To just below the returns, this should be about 18" from the top of the pool.

2) The cover sags slightly in the middle (I attribute this to a cover pump and some pooling of water) Im assuming this slight sag is normal or should I tighten the springs?

A slight sag is normal.

3) Half of the springs are half compressed and the other half are fully extended. I figured I would leave some leeway for snowloads, is the cover too tight risking tears/damage or should I fully extend the rest of the springs? Any general rules of thumb for spring compression are welcome.

Only compress the springs to about 80% of their uncompressed length, adjust as the straps stretch.

I would have uploaded pictures but my file sizes were too large, is there any way around this or somewhere else I can post these photos for reference on this site? Thanks
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by ajpello2003
    how-to-add-pictures-to-a-post-full-guide-with-screenshots-t45050.html?hilit=post pictures

Basically you use a hosting service like Flikr or Photobucket and then link the pics to the thread.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks so much to you both! That really clears things up, the only other thing I wanted to do is upload a couple pictures and make sure the cover isnt sagging too much and that the water isnt too low since I made the recommended adjustments to water level and cover springs. Your expert judgment is appreciated

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b129/ ... _339-1.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b129/ ... _646-1.jpg
    Pool Details: 40k Inground Vinyl Liner Pool with Mesh Safety Covering