Opinions Requested - Pavers or Concrete?

Sep 15, 2012
Greetings Everyone. After lurking for a while, this is my first post.

I live in Plano, TX and am thinking about having an in-ground gunite pool constructed. The hardscape design includes about 850 sq ft of deck. The pool is geometric and the deck lines are mostly rectangular.

Stamped and stained concrete or pavers are under consideration for the deck.

For a concrete deck (4 inches thick in center 6 inches at edges, 12 in O.C. #3 rebar), the pool builder's sub would apply a coat of sealer, then some silica to reduce slip, then seal again. Having looked at some representative samples with preferred colors, the appearance seems very nice.

But, I've seen comments about cracks in concrete and subsequent gaps or uplifting. Summers here are hot; thermal expansion and control of moisture levels in the soil can be problems. I'd hate to spend a lot of money and then have problems three or four years later.

I've also looked at pavers. Pavers seem like a nice alterative in that thermal expansion might be less of a problem. If sinking or swelling of the base and pavers does occur, repair is possible and sometimes relatively easy. Potential problems with weeds or ants could be easily controlled. But, having looked at Belgard pavers on the pallet at the stone yard, I can't say I am impressed with the washed out colors. Nothing in the yard looks like the pictures in the brochure, unless color enhancers and sealers are applied.

So, I'd enjoy hearing the opinions of others regarding the two choices for deck. Or maybe you have one of these types of deck; how is it holding up? Did you experience any problems?

Thanks in advance for any insight.

Warmest Regards,
Lizzy

I am in he middle of a (self-build) pool now and I am going with pavers. Concrete will crack no matter what. Being a landscaper, I have installed lots of pavers and if the preparation underneath is done right, you'll have no problems. If you ever need to run more underground lines or a leak, you can just pull up some pavers and then replace when finished. I would recommend a low-gloss sealer to help retain the polymeric sand and enhance the colors. Also, the pavers at the yard are usually very dusty and look much better clean.

I have a concrete deck that is finished with acrylic textured surface. It has been in place for seven years now. Very easy to clean and maintain. I rolled a new top coat on it about two years ago, it took a couple hours and cost about $100 in materials and supplies. Other than a few hairline cracks, we have had no problems. I used some calk to get rid those before recoating the deck. I went with the acrylic surface because I have a salt pool and have seen how many stone surfaces deteriorate and other surfaces show salt stains.

I have used a lot of pavers in other areas of my landscaping, but for the area right around the pool we chose the acrylic finish and are happy with it.

Thanks for your replies. I do want to learn a great deal more before deciding.

chiefwej: I agree that the acrylic coating over concrete looks good. Thanks for pointing out the advantages for a SW pool.

Just-a-PB: Natural stone pavers including Travertine look awesome, but I was imagining the cost would be prohibitive. Then again, I've no clue.

Warmest Regards,
Lizzy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was under the impression only some of the anchors could be in pipe. What systems work with pavers? My only exposure is loop-loc.

- Sent using Tapatalk

bk406 said:
UnderWaterVanya said:
I was under the impression only some of the anchors could be in pipe. What systems work with pavers? My only exposure is loop-loc.

- Sent using Tapatalk

Nope, all of my anchors are in pipe. I have a loop-loc.

You're right! :hammer:

http://safetycoverpro.com/files/Install ... _Cover.pdf

Pavers, brick, or stone: When decks are made with brick, stone or pavers laid on sand, or on a cement slab, the anchor-in-pipe method must be used or the cover cannot be considered safe and warranted. For each anchor to be installed by this method, you will need to use 3/4" inside diameter pipe or conduit with a minimum length of 15".

Someone else on this forum had said that only a certain number were allowed but this clearly seems to say that you can use any number as long as they meet the requirements. Appologies for wrong info. :oops:

I am glad i used pavers when i had to fix a leak this year. :-D My anchors i used were the same as for concrete. Have not come close to a paver moving for any reason. However most of my pavers are 1' x 1' and 18" x 24".

Just-a-PB said:
Travertine is $6.00 to $8.00 a sq ft in my neck of the woods.
Were no closer to mexico then you guys. :-D

Forgive my ignorance Just-a-PB, that's the cost of the travertine paver only, correct?

As in: labor, base, sand, sealer, edging, etc. not included in $6-8 per sq ft?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.