Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Closing chemistry

1. Back To Top    #1

Closing chemistry

Good morning all! This newbie is learning but I still have a Long way to go and a few more questions. I had cleaned my pool for closing a few weeks back and temporarily covered it to keep it that way until water temp came down to sixty as recommended. Last Saturday high winds took the cover off partially and a bunch of leaves blew into my immaculately clean pool! I spent this weekend in damage control vacuuming one half thoroughly and blindly ( half covered) cleaning the other side, so I know there are still some leaves but not many. I tested the water and results were FC .5, CC .5! CYA 30,PH 7.5. As per chart and pool calculator, I added 170 oz of 10% liquid chlorine to raise to a shock level of 11. Today I tested and results are FC 13.5, CC 1. Is this too high? I used Two jugs and estimated a little less than a quarter of a third jug. Will this be a problem? I so want to open my pool for the first time and it not be a green nightmare... Thanks for any advice...
    AG AquaLeader 21x43 Oval 54" deep. Hayward 2speed 2HP pump,Hayward 350,000 BTU NG Heater, Cartridge filter. Since August 2012. TFT 100 test kit

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Closing chemistry

Is this too high?
    No, it's close enough. Leave it where it is and close it up.
    Dave S.
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

Thank you
    AG AquaLeader 21x43 Oval 54" deep. Hayward 2speed 2HP pump,Hayward 350,000 BTU NG Heater, Cartridge filter. Since August 2012. TFT 100 test kit

4. Back To Top    #4

I don't know what type of cover you have, but if it lets any light in, then this is why you may get algae growth. An light proof cover prevents algae growth and maintains your chemicals in the pool water longer. I have an light-proof water tight cover on my above-ground pool and it keeps my pool looking great; in fact, it looks just like it did when I close it (I like you also use liquid chlorine). In the fall I remove excess water from the cover with a siphon before it freezes; for an in-ground pool, it is more trouble, you would have to pump the water off if too much accumulates. Hope this helps and good luck with you pool closing.
    15-foot above ground pool, Hayward Turbo-Flow pump with sand filter, use liquid chlorine, Metchlor Caddy pool chlorinator; Metchlor Caddy also used for automatically adding muriatic acid; winterize with light and water resistant cover.

5. Back To Top    #5

Thanks bassmasta, I believe my cover is light tight I will need that in my favor.......