What is the prefered skimmer configuration?

wpbucher

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 7, 2012
South-Central Pennsylvania
For a new pool build, what is the best skimmer configuration for an in ground pool?

Should it have an equalizer line?
Should the second hole be tied to the main drain?
Should the second hole be plumbed with a backup line that is stubbed at the equipment pad in case the primary skimmer line gets clogged or damaged?

My pool will be about 29K gallons with two skimmers.

Ideally, each suction port should have a home run line to the pad and skimmers should have an equalizer line to the wall.

mas985 said:
Ideally, each suction port should have a home run line to the pad and skimmers should have an equalizer line to the wall.

Mark - why is the line to the wall important? Why is it even called an equalizer? I assume without the equalizer but with a main drain (home run plumbed) you would suck too much air even if both were enabled.

- Sent using Tapatalk

Two reasons for the equalizer line. If your skimmer becomes full of debris and blocks the flow, the equalizer will allow water to the pump.

The second reason is when the water level drops below the skimmer, the skimmer float should block flow and again, the equalizer allows for alternate path.

An equalizer isn't absolute necessary but they are not all that expensive to install either so given the choice, I would put it in.

mas985 said:
Two reasons for the equalizer line. If your skimmer becomes full of debris and blocks the flow, the equalizer will allow water to the pump.

The second reason is when the water level drops below the skimmer, the skimmer float should block flow and again, the equalizer allows for alternate path.

An equalizer isn't absolute necessary but they are not all that expensive to install either so given the choice, I would put it in.

Existing pool lacks one - but liner is old. At some point when the liner is replaced - you would deem this a worthwhile retrofit? Skimmer box has two outlets - one is plugged. Trying to figure out how hard this would be to accomplish in a retrofit.

I probably would only consider doing this for a new pool unless you have had issues with the pump running dry.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.