Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: 2 closing questions

1. Back To Top    #1

2 closing questions

1. How much psi for blowing out the lines with an air compressor? I tried 20PSI and had a some very small air bubble leaks at the plugs. I think because of the amount of pressure.

2. In the past I blew out the return lines and capped them off under the water line. I read in pool school about drain the water below the returns and adding antifreeze using a curved funnel. So, Just blow out line (turn off air pressure?) add half a gallon of antifreeze, and then cap them off? Thanks for the help.
    21,500 Gallon Vinyl liner pool Eastern Pennsylvania
    Hayward 2 HP pump 2" Pvc pipes Full Sun Pool
    Hayward sand filter, Compupool CPSC 48 SWG
    12mil solar cover and reel

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: 2 closing questions

I blow out with a leaf blower, not sure what the PSI is, but it pushes the water out and I don't worry about if I'm going to burst a pipe. I DO lower the water below the returns (except for the bottom drain obviously) and blow them out one by one and then cap them. I add the antifreeze with a hose and funnel.
    Neil

22,000 gallon vinyl in ground (17ft x 33ft) built in 1996, Pentair Whisperflo 1HP [2007] running into a Pentair Sand Dollar SD80 (75 GPM flow) [2007] and Rheem 266A Digital Gas Heater [2013], Liquidator [2013], full sun. And a UDS.

3. Back To Top    #3

Why do you need to add antifreeze to lines that were drained and capped?
    23k in-ground plaster. Cartridge filter Hayward 450 or 550. Hayward 2ph pump.
    liquid chlorine, tablets occasionally when out of liquid and cya allows it. ph down.
    stabilizer (Had no cya last two openings, but never before that)
    no other chemicals used in years
    TF100.

4. Back To Top    #4

Sorry. I mean to say I add antifreeze to the main drain suction side. which I don't assume I've blown the water completely out of, or that it won't slowly seep back in during the winter. I don't antifreeze any of the returns.
    Neil

22,000 gallon vinyl in ground (17ft x 33ft) built in 1996, Pentair Whisperflo 1HP [2007] running into a Pentair Sand Dollar SD80 (75 GPM flow) [2007] and Rheem 266A Digital Gas Heater [2013], Liquidator [2013], full sun. And a UDS.