First time closing pool with liquidator

tethys69

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Hampton Roads area, VA
Hi all,

So this is a combo thread. This is my first time closing the pool myself AND the first time closing it with the Liquidator. I have what are likely some very simple (possibly stoopid :oops: ) questions that I'd like to square away before I move on with closing. (note: I live in southern VA so closing seems to be optional. I do it to save on the electricity.)

1) I've read on TFP that people put the Liquidator away for the winter. I assume this is a good idea if for no other reason than to help with the life expectancy of it. Are the open holes left by the Liquidator in the pool piping a problem?

2) I'm assuming (always dangerous) that I need to remove the LQ PRIOR to blowing out the lines? Again, don't the holes left in the pool piping affect this negatively? If I don't remove the LQ prior to blowing the lines then couldn't that damage the LQ?

3) I'm using a wet/dry vac with a blower to blow the pipes. Assuming I have done all the preliminary work and it's time to blow the pipes, I would like "official" (yet unofficial) TFP confirmation that all I need to do to blow the pipes is:
- drain the pump
- put the drain plug back in
- take the top off the pump, remove the basket
- put the business end of the blower where the basket was
- set the multi-port (see #3a)
- and turn the blower on.

Please let me know if there's any more to it. (I realize I have to redirect the water through the waterfall and jets, then close off the jets once the water is out)

3a) What setting does the multi-port need to be on when I blow the pipes? Again, I assume "Filter" but I don't want to damage the filter so I figured I'd ask.

3b) I don't quite understand how to blow out the skimmer from the pad. Can this be done or does the skimmer have to be done FROM the skimmer?

Thanks much.

1. The holes won't be a problem.
2. It probably won't damage it but it's a good idea to remove it.
3. Sounds good.
3a. Put it on recirc. That way it'll bypass the filter.
3b. When you put the vac in the pump basket it'll blow the skimmer first and you'll have to seal it off to get the returns to blow out.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.