A few questions about closing an AGP

Jun 15, 2012
Iowa
I've read quite a bit and gotten a lot of great info from here about winterizing our pool. But I have a few questions (we'd like to leave it out during the winter but want to do it right so as to avoid damage).

Climate = Iowa, so can get very cold in the winter

Pool = a 3800 gallon AGP, Intex 14' x 48" (no inflatable ring around the top)

From what I've read, if we do it right, this type of pool can be left up during the winter. Correct?

I've read the steps on Pool School about how to get the water and equipment ready. Only questions about that so far are:

On Pool School's Closing topic, it says "Drain water to 6" below lowest return/skimmer opening and hoses/fittings removed."

The pool has an opening that is about a foot or so beneath the pool top which is where the pump sends water back into the pool, and an opening that is about two feet beneath the pool top which is the where the pump takes in water. By "lowest return/skimmer opening" does that mean 6" beneath the top opening? Or something else?

I've read a bit about ice possibly ripping the liner or the pool wall. Is this a problem in my sort of climate? Would putting some closed 20-30 gallon plastic jugs half-filled with water into the pool water help? We've done that with outdoor pond before. Not sure if the same would work here.

I would think is means below the lowest hole opening (meaning the suction hole as well). Unless you are able to blow out the suction line and plug it in the pool.

Granted I have never had to do this, so hopefully someone else will chime in.

With a ring pool you're never going to be able to lower the water level below the return because the pool won't stand up on it's on.

The best thing you can do is take it down, BUT if you really want to leave it up you need to plug the return line in the pool and remove the hoses and take everything else inside.

I can't speak to the climate question because I don't know how deep the pool will freeze but if it doesn't freeze very deep you should be fine.

Yes, thank you, the link from skurys, that is the one I have. Still trying to decide whether to winterize it and leave it up or take it down for the winter. I'm not sure which is riskier - the potential for damaging it while dissembling and moving it, or the potential for ice damage if I leave it up.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.