Help... Messed up Big Time!

jduies

Apr 10, 2012
After spending nearly all of my time, effort, and $$$ completely remodeling my all concrete 1951 in-ground pool from April to July, I finally completed it. It does have a vinyl liner now. For the most part everything is new: liner, plumbing, sand filter, added seating and steps, low voltage pentair intellibrite light, waterfall, widemouth skimmer, all new coping, pavers, changed elevation of concrete, and top of pool to rise above concrete deck about 8" on one end, and flush on the other, raised level of pool deep end from 10' to 5.5', built pool house, installed all new trex fence around entire back yard, and even bought a blue diamond. I did nearly all of the work myself, as I live in a small community in Central IL, and didn't have much luck with the local PB's. I'll try to post pictures, if I can figure out how. Enjoyed a great couple of months in the pool and still can't get over the fact of how nice it turned out.

Now, the problem...

Due to a completely unforeseen life altering event on Labor Day Weekend, I haven't even set foot in the back yard until this afternoon. Pool has had a solar cover on it since labor day, pump has been running 24/7, and there is chlorine in my new offline chlorinator. I'll probably close the pool in the next week or two. When I took the solar cover off today, the pool is completely green. Tested the water--zero chlorine, PH barely registering at all, and alkalinity is low. I backwashed, filled up the chlorinator, and turned it all way the way to high, added PH+ and some baking soda. Is it possible that my chlorinator is clogged? I had it on a low setting as that seemed to be sufficient during the hottest time of the summer.

The pool is about 16,000 gallons. Hayward 2442 Side mount filter with 300lbs of sand (filter and sand new in July) and a Pentair 1.25HP whisperflow pump. I'd really like to get the water back in balance before I close it for the year, and make sure that the algae didn't damage my new (black) liner. I'm a bit afraid to start dumping liquid chlorine (if I can even find any locally this time of year) or bleach into it, due to the liner being black. Any suggestions on how I can fix this mess that I have created? HELP...

Sounds like your CYA climbed on you. The same amount of chlorine that used to work can be rendered no longer effective due to a high CYA level. Do you have a test kit that measures CYA?

Turning up the puck feeder may actually make things worse. Essentially the pucks contain CYA and as they add chlorine they also add CYA.

-sent with Tapatalk 2

I do have the TF 100. Good call, CYA is off the charts. Looks like I'll be dumping water all day. I'm not sure if the chlorine pucks that I have also have CYA in them, can someone please advise?

They are: Pool Brand (Sam's Club) 3" tablets, that list ingredients as:

Trichlori-s-triazintrione 99%
Inert ingredients 1%
Total 100%
Available Chlorine 90%

Added an "after" shot of the pool project, will add a couple of more

Attachments

• Decatur-20120710-00139.jpg
    Decatur-20120710-00139.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 196
Here's a couple of mid-project photos--since I raised the deep end, had to bust a hole in side, dig down about 6.5', and push new drain PVC through

Attachments

• Decatur-20120710-00139.jpg
    Decatur-20120710-00139.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 196
  • Decatur-20120605-00096.jpg
    Decatur-20120605-00096.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 196

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
jduies said:
I do have the TF 100. Good call, CYA is off the charts. Looks like I'll be dumping water all day. I'm not sure if the chlorine pucks that I have also have CYA in them, can someone please advise?

They are: Pool Brand (Sam's Club) 3" tablets, that list ingredients as:

Trichlori-s-triazintrione 99%
Inert ingredients 1%
Total 100%
Available Chlorine 90%

Added an "after" shot of the pool project, will add a couple of more

Yup. Trichlor is a CYA containing chlorine. There are no pucks other than some CalHypo ones that do not have CYA in them. The CalHypo one's that exist cannot be used in the same feeder that Trichlor was used in due to the possibility of causing an explosion or fire - the two types of chlorine are not compatible in high concentration. In the pool water there is no problem but do not mix the two otherwise. The CalHypo pucks from HTH and others are a bit odd - they dissolve funny from what I have read.

The old liner lasted over 20 years, and really didn't even start to fade until about 7 years ago when I bought the house and switched from Bacquacil to Chlorine. The only reason I really had to replace it was due to a tear resulting from trying to fix a corner that fell out of the track. Well, that and I decided that I was going to stay in the house for a long time, and wanted the pool to be upgraded...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.