Pool placement

Sep 26, 2012
I am hoping to build a gunite pool in Jan - Feb timeframe. I had wanted to put the pool on the left side of my yard as much as possible vs. middle so I can save as much yard as possible for other things. We do outdoor movies and put the screen up on my back fence and I need yard space for chairs for the movies etc. We have a swing set on right side already. The two builders I have spoken to so far just don't seem to get what I want and have placed the pool taking up too much of the middle.

Does anyone have knowledge to look at my plan and see if what I am wanting is possible? I have a 7 ft easement in the back and 3 ft on side.

I would like to have a 36 x 20 or so size pool if possible. also need raised beam on back side or at top of yard by back fence due to slope.

I wish I knew how to design myself with graph paper!! Thanks so much, KIM

Attachments

• 15318 Wild Timber - Survey.pdf
    35.7 KB · Views: 109
Be clear with the potential builders. You'll have the room if you place the pool slightly on the diagonal. Hopefully it won't be out of view from inside the house.
I had similar experience with the builders I talked to. I knew what I wanted but they always came back with something different.

I see you have overhead electrical utilities at the rear. IIRC, there needs to be 23ft or more from the waterline to the wires. That's the "aerial easement" on your survey

I building my own pool but do have a contact in the business that could save you money on your pool. PM me if you're interested.

I see you have easements marked on your plat, but do you also have setback requirements?

An easement is a granted right for another party to utilize your property. For example I have a sanitary sewer easement on the corner of my property. The Water and Sewer Authority can service the manhole in that easement whenever needed, and I cannot place anything that encumbers them.

However, I also have setback requirements. I cannot buil a permanent structure within so many feet of my property lines, aside from a fence. That may be one of the reasons your builder keeps moving the pool.

The scale on the plat is cut off, but by eyeballing it, a 36' long pool is not going to fit along the left side. It has to go a bit to the side. Remember that there is "stuff" that goes around the pool as well. Pipes, coping, a wall, etc. None of that should encroach into the easement. You also need to be aware exactly what is in that easement. If there is a 48" force main running undergroun there may be a very good reason your builder wants to stay further away from it. Not only to cover his rear, but in case there is ever excavation along that easement, he does not want the pool to be comprimised. It is all well and good to build right up to the edge of the easement, untill somone needs to trench the easement.

What you need to do is schedule a sit down with the builder. Take your survey plat to the meeting. If possible have a cut out of the pool you want to built (you don't need graph paper, there is a scale right on the bottom of the plat that will say 1" = XX feet, get a rule and draw a scale pool). Place it where you want it in the yard on the plat and ask him if he can do it there. If not, then ask him WHY NOT. There may be a very good reason he cannot go where you want it.

-dave

phonedave is correct about setbacks. In my area the setbacks would not allow me to place the pool from front to back on side of the yard. I got a Variance from the Zoning Board. This can be a long process and rather expensive (lawyer, aerial photos, registered letters to neighbors, etc,). You can find the setback requirements on your lot from the town Zoning maps.

dave

The setback requirements phonedave mentioned will be spelled out by your HOA (there's no city, or (really) county government in the area). edit for the Dave in NJ, there is no zoning.

In my neighborhood, some sections have the 3ft side requirement, other sections have a 5ft side setback. Our rear setback for utlilty easement is 10ft. However, when the house was new, they place part of the driveway directly over that rear easement. While the water district has come out and done repairs to our sanitary sewer main (with a backhoe) it didn't require that part of the driveway to be removed. :goodjob:. The point is you're not really restricted from building in the easment but be aware if it is in the way the utility has the right to remove it if neccessary. It is quite common, in the area, to see equipment pads or decking in the utlilty easement. To be clear it is not something I would recommend but possible.

bigdav160 said:
The setback requirements phonedave mentioned will be spelled out by your HOA (there's no city, or (really) county government in the area). edit for the Dave in NJ, there is no zoning.

In my neighborhood, some sections have the 3ft side requirement, other sections have a 5ft side setback. Our rear setback for utlilty easement is 10ft. However, when the house was new, they place part of the driveway directly over that rear easement. While the water district has come out and done repairs to our sanitary sewer main (with a backhoe) it didn't require that part of the driveway to be removed. :goodjob:. The point is you're not really restricted from building in the easment but be aware if it is in the way the utility has the right to remove it if neccessary. It is quite common, in the area, to see equipment pads or decking in the utlilty easement. To be clear it is not something I would recommend but possible.

Exactly (I am in NJ too by the way). My guess is that the builder did not want to build near the easement for just such a reason. It is one thing to have to take up and replace a driveway or deck. It is entirely another to have the wall of your pool cave in. The builder SHOULD have explained such a decision to the homeowner - that is what any good contractor would do, but I do suspect they have a legitimate reason for not placing the pool there. CAN they build there, sure, but I suspect they would want somthing in writing from the homeowner stating they are aware of the risks, hold the builder harmless, etc etc.

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.