Replace pump motor?

DONNIE

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 28, 2007
OKLAHOMA
My STA-RITE Max-E-Pro P6E6D-205L just finished its 6th year of service. While it still seems to run well it is making a little more noise than it use to. I'm considering buying a replacement just to have on-hand. That way I will have time to shop price instead of having to run to the pool store. My question......can I just replace the motor on the pump or should I replace the entire unit? Complete unit is going to be around $400 and the motor around $200. All the websites seem to list the impeller on the same page with the motor and thats another $50. Anyone have any experience they would care to share?

Donnie

Just replace the motor. You will need to replace the shaft seal also. I'm not sure if you have a pinch a penny, they're reasonable and will match price.
It's reasonably easy, You can take the back section off from the front section, remove the big metal band and bring the motor and back assy and they swap it out, all you'll have to do is rehook up the wires, and slid it back together again. If you're running with the filter basket the impeller should be in good shape. On the Sta-rite Max series it's easier to bring the back part in. It's worth the $25 install charge I think.

Here's my tale of woe: auggh-motor-died-learned-alot-downsized-motor-t37833.html?hilit=3/4%20hp%20motor

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.