Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Replace pump motor?

1. Back To Top    #1

Replace pump motor?

My STA-RITE Max-E-Pro P6E6D-205L just finished its 6th year of service. While it still seems to run well it is making a little more noise than it use to. I'm considering buying a replacement just to have on-hand. That way I will have time to shop price instead of having to run to the pool store. My question......can I just replace the motor on the pump or should I replace the entire unit? Complete unit is going to be around $400 and the motor around $200. All the websites seem to list the impeller on the same page with the motor and thats another $50. Anyone have any experience they would care to share?

Donnie
    8500 Gallon Fiberglass IG / Sta-Rite pump,cartridge filter & heater / PoolPilot Dig 220-36 SWG / Testing w/K2006

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Replace pump motor?

Just replace the motor. You will need to replace the shaft seal also. I'm not sure if you have a pinch a penny, they're reasonable and will match price.
    It's reasonably easy, You can take the back section off from the front section, remove the big metal band and bring the motor and back assy and they swap it out, all you'll have to do is rehook up the wires, and slid it back together again. If you're running with the filter basket the impeller should be in good shape. On the Sta-rite Max series it's easier to bring the back part in. It's worth the $25 install charge I think.

Here's my tale of woe: auggh-motor-died-learned-alot-downsized-motor-t37833.html?hilit=3/4%20hp%20motor
    17K Kidney Shaped Pool Concrete (Diamond Bright) Pool, 3/4 hp 2 speed 115V Sta-rite Duraglas PEA5D-180L/P2R5D-181L (Impeller C105-92PS Diffuser C1-216P), 1.5 piping, Pentair CC100 Filter , Heat Siphon 100K BTU Heat Pump Pool Heater, Flow meter Blue White Flowmeter Model No. F-30150P, Hayward Astrolight SP0581N, SWCG CalimarTitanium Edition TE45 , Dolphin Nautilus Plus with CleverClean, Lakeland Florida

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Replace pump motor?

Good advice. Thanks.
    8500 Gallon Fiberglass IG / Sta-Rite pump,cartridge filter & heater / PoolPilot Dig 220-36 SWG / Testing w/K2006