Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Is my TA low?

1. Back To Top    #1

Is my TA low?

I probably should know the answer to this but I am uncertain. Here are my results:

pH 7.5
    FC 6.5
    CC 0
    CYA 30
    TA 60

My TA is a bit lower than it has been most of the summer, as it has normally been 70-80. Should I be concerned? I thought I remembered reading that if using bleach only to treat pool (like I am) than a somewhat lower TA is desirable. Anyone care to weigh in?
    10,000 gallon
    Viking Freeform Fiberglass Inground Pool. FNS Plus DE Filter Pentair Challenger .75hp pump

NC KANSAS44

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Is my TA low?

If your pH was stable and you weren't needing to add acid when it was at 70-80, then you could raise it. Otherwise, if the pH is more stable now at 60 ppm and you are adding less or no acid, then you can leave it and if this makes your saturation index too negative you can compensate by raising the CH level some.
    16,000 gallon outdoor in-ground 16'x32' plaster pool; Pentair Intelliflo VF pump; Pentair IntelliTouch i9+3s control system; Jandy CL-340 square foot cartridge filter
    12 Fafco solar panels; Purex Triton PowerMax 250 natural gas heater (200,000 BTU/hr output); automatic electric pool safety cover; 4-wheel pressure-side "The Pool Cleaner"

3. Back To Top    #3

At the higher 70-80 TA levels I was having to add acid occasionally. However my pH has dropped lately, and continues to stay at 7.5. Apparently with current conditions my water is happier with a slightly lower TA. I believe I will leave it alone. Thanks for the reply.
    10,000 gallon
    Viking Freeform Fiberglass Inground Pool. FNS Plus DE Filter Pentair Challenger .75hp pump

NC KANSAS44

4. Back To Top    #4

My pool likes to be around 60.