Leslies DE scoop

I was the original poster on that thread and it's the reason I am posting again. Answers were all over the map on that one! Just disassembled/cleaned and am trying to get a definitive answer. Google search netted answers that varied pretty dramatically.

Looks to be about a 20% variance from the low to high side (except the one where you add one scoop of DE for a 60 ft^2 filter). I doubt an error of this magnitude is going to have a major effect on filtration efficiency, though I could be wrong. If you are concerned, you can pick up a cheap digital scale and be quite accurate about how much DE you are adding to your system. In my case, I usually just look at the filter back pressure to determine how much DE (or cellulose) to add. At high speed, if I've just cleaned out my filter and washed the grids, I get 10-11 PSI. When the correct amount of DE is added, this will rise to about 15 or 16 PSI (and when it gets to 20 or 21, its time for a backwash or filter breakdown). This seems to work reasonably accurately for both DE and DE substitutes like cellulose powder. Once I get to this back pressure, I stop adding more. My water is crystal clear and the filtration seems to be working well for the last year or so that I've followed this rule. Obviously, you will have to come up with your own measurements for your own system given plumbing differences.

Thanks for the response. I took the posters experience with packing it down to get 1pound in the scoop. Filter is a 36 which calls for 4.5 lbs, so 4.5 packed scoops. Pool is being drained as I speak in preparation for new Pebblesheen. Just trying to make sure everything is good to go on start-up!

When I was trying to figure out the answer to this question last year I ended up using my wife's food scale and each scoop of DE averaged 3/4lb. I didn't pack it down, just scooped and shook the cup until the DE was level with the top of the cup.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.