Steel around underwater light fixture

stev32k

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2009
Mobile, Alabama
For a long time I've been getting iron stains in the pool and could not figure out where it was coming from. I thought all the steel in contact with water was 316 stainless. Today I noticed the underwater light looked a little dark around the edge. I laid down and felt the ring that holds the fixture against the wall and it is rusted and badly pitted. The rust is not built up like it is mild steel and I could rub it off with my finger so it must be some iron containing alloy.

Is it common to put that kind of retaining ring around an underwater light and can it be replaced while it is submerged?

Not sure how old your pool is but the fact that it is rusting isn't all that surprising. Different grades of steel do show up in light fixtures. Some stand the test of time and some don't.

As Just-a-PB said, you can unscrew the fixture and pull it up to the surface since it will have plenty of wire for you to pull up to the deck. Then, you can identify the brand and replace the ring and the gasket.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.