Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Steel around underwater light fixture

1. Back To Top    #1
    Mobile, Alabama

Steel around underwater light fixture

For a long time I've been getting iron stains in the pool and could not figure out where it was coming from. I thought all the steel in contact with water was 316 stainless. Today I noticed the underwater light looked a little dark around the edge. I laid down and felt the ring that holds the fixture against the wall and it is rusted and badly pitted. The rust is not built up like it is mild steel and I could rub it off with my finger so it must be some iron containing alloy.

Is it common to put that kind of retaining ring around an underwater light and can it be replaced while it is submerged?
    20' x 40' IG with vinyl liner volume approx. 35,000 gal.1.5 H.P. main pump, Polaris 280 cleaner W/ 3/4 H.P. booster pump
    Hayward sand filter, 3.14 sq ft, 62 gpm. Stenner 45 MPH10 chlorine feed pump. 1 micron final filter bags (home made and very effective)

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Scottsdale, AZ

Re: Steel around underwater light fixture

Lights are on a cord, and can brought to surface to work on.
    Here is a video that might help.

3. Back To Top    #3

Flower Mound, TX

Re: Steel around underwater light fixture

Not sure how old your pool is but the fact that it is rusting isn't all that surprising. Different grades of steel do show up in light fixtures. Some stand the test of time and some don't.

As Just-a-PB said, you can unscrew the fixture and pull it up to the surface since it will have plenty of wire for you to pull up to the deck. Then, you can identify the brand and replace the ring and the gasket.
    10K gallon IG gunite with waterfall; Pentair CC320P filter; WhisperFlo 2 HP pump
    TF Test Kits - Pool Math - Pool School
    "It depends."- JohnT