Adding borax 3 weeks ago....now itching skin??

lka674

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 12, 2012
Williamson County, Texas
FC 5.5
CC 0
TC 5.5
pH 7.3ish
TA 60
CH 430
CYA 60
Borate 50

We haven't been in the pool since before I added the borax on Sept 6 and yesterday my husband decided to get in for the first time. He does not know that I added borates, since I handle the pool and we really just don't talk about what I do or don't do. He was almost immediately complaining of his skin itching while he was IN the water and I too have noticed my arm itching when I go to get testing samples from under the surface.

Anyone heard of borax causing this type of skin irritation IN the water?? I know in powder form it can cause eye and skin irritation, but I had always heard that adding borates to pool water actually made the water less likely to cause itching/irritation.

Maybe it's not the borax at all but maybe my pH is a little lower than usual is causing it? I heard pH didn't start to cause irritation until below 7.2.....

Thanks for any comments.

LK

Just out of curiosity, what kind of borate did you use, and where did you get it from? I wonder if it's possible there was some other type of additive?

I use borates and have allergies/eczema and my borates actually have the opposite effect. At 50 ppm in theory it should actually leave your skin soft. Borates are used in a lot of skin products for a mild anti fungal effect.

Experiment suggestion (after increasing ph.)
If your skin reaction persists, have a bath with a bath bomb and see if you have a reaction. Borax is main ingredient I most "holistic" bath salts and bombs.
Another test: add a quarter cup to your laundry as cleaning booster. Wash some shirts. See if you or h. react to the shirts. Calculate how many ppm would be in the laundry.

Borates leave the water with splash out and draining/dilution just like cya. If it turns out you actually are reacting to the borates, please let us know so we can warn people only to add if they know they're not allergic.

Hopefully, you'll find that's not what it is.

lka674 said:
FC 5.5
CC 0
TC 5.5
pH 7.3ish
TA 60
CH 430
CYA 60
Borate 50

We haven't been in the pool since before I added the borax on Sept 6 and yesterday my husband decided to get in for the first time. He does not know that I added borates, since I handle the pool and we really just don't talk about what I do or don't do. He was almost immediately complaining of his skin itching while he was IN the water and I too have noticed my arm itching when I go to get testing samples from under the surface.

Anyone heard of borax causing this type of skin irritation IN the water?? I know in powder form it can cause eye and skin irritation, but I had always heard that adding borates to pool water actually made the water less likely to cause itching/irritation.

Maybe it's not the borax at all but maybe my pH is a little lower than usual is causing it? I heard pH didn't start to cause irritation until below 7.2.....

Thanks for any comments.

LK

I think it's very likely that your phenol red (pH reagent) is bad. get some fresh reagent and retest pH. I'll bet it's less than 7.

I used 20 Mule Borax and I purchased it from my grocery store, Qwaxalot was correct about the phenol red being bad....pH was very likely below 7, I've been aerating and will get hubby to get in the spa today to see if its better now that we r back up to around 7.4ish. Thank you all for comments and I'll let you know the final verdict. A good sign tho is that my arm isn't itching anymore when I'm taking my samples! :)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.