Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: How do I determine my "turn over" rate ?

1. Back To Top    #1

How do I determine my "turn over" rate ?

I keep reading about the importance of having at least 1 full "turnover" over water during the winter time, running the pump/filter less than I usually do in the summer swin season. How do I determine just what that amount of time is? (We live in a warmer climate so will keep water in the pool & the necessary levels of chems).

I have a 40,000 (est) gallon pool with a 1/2 HP pump & 2 Cartridge filter

Thanks
    30,000 Gal FIBER GLASS (over Gunite Plaster) Pool, Dolphin Nautilus PLUS Robot, (2) Cartridge Filter System (old), 1/2 HP Pump, Full Sun, Solar Heated, TF-100 Test Kit.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: How do I determine my "turn over" rate ?

I wouldn't worry about the actual number of turnovers you have. You don't need nearly a complete turnover each day in the winter. Just keep cutting back on the run time until it's not keeping the pool clear and then up it a bit and leave it there.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Got it ... Thanks .. (but I'm still curious about how to determine that if anyone knows).
    30,000 Gal FIBER GLASS (over Gunite Plaster) Pool, Dolphin Nautilus PLUS Robot, (2) Cartridge Filter System (old), 1/2 HP Pump, Full Sun, Solar Heated, TF-100 Test Kit.

4. Back To Top    #4

Without asking you about your plumbing set-up and assuming 40-50gpm you are looking at 8-10 hours run time for one turn on a 40K gal pool.
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

5. Back To Top    #5

thanks

6. Back To Top    #6

To answer your last questions, it is not "easy" to calculate the flow rate. Into that calculation goes: All the details of your plumbing (# suction and return pipes, sizes, eyeball sizes, # of elbows in the plumbing, etc), your pump, filter, and valve details, pressure readings (ideally the pressure side and the suction side), height of equipment relative to the water .... and probably some more stuff.

Thus, easier to just cut the run time back until the pool is not clear enough for you and bump it back up. Chemical mixing happens very fast and is not a limiting factor.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!