Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: SWG hookup correct?

1. Back To Top    #1

SWG hookup correct?

[attachment=0:22nkpdhe]photo-8.jpg[/attachment:22nkpdhe]
    Had a SWG installed and wanted to make sure this looks correct? The pool is controlled by an Intermatic timer. The pool pump and my solar power box are wire directly to the timer. When they installed the Hayward SWG control box they wired it to the solar power box and not directly to the timer box. Is this correct? Seemed a bit odd to me. Picture attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: SWG hookup correct?

Not really sure, but I would make sure the "poop" pump doesn't come on when you're swimming!!!

I would expect it to be wired into whichever timer controls when the pool pump comes on.
    23,000 IG Plaster pool w/ spa, Pentair FNS Plus 48 DE Filter, Hayward RS1000 Main pump, Polaris booster pump, CPSC48 SWG, Legend pool sweep. Dallas, Texas, Full sun, Taylor K-2006

3. Back To Top    #3

should be wired to the time box. http://sphotos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-a ... 2495_n.jpg

we met an swg wired direct to a breaker box and the control panel overheated. best to wire to time box only.

4. Back To Top    #4

Oops! Corrected the spelling. Made me laugh out loud.
    I have a pump, solar, and SWG. Can all these be wired to the timer?

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by scent of a mule

solar?

6. Back To Top    #6

I had a simlar setup at my last house, but can not remember how everything was wired.

I do not think that everthing has to be run back to the timer if the equipment has the terminals to pass the power through.

Although, the SWG is using more power than the solar controller, so maybe running from the timer to the SWG and then from the SWG to the solar would be better. I am just not sure if there is enough room in the timer to correctly connect that many wires to the the terminals.

EDIT: Although doesn't the solar need to have continuous power (I am not sure on this) ... just thought it would be needed to turn the solar valve after the pump shuts off. At least I thought I remembered that is the way the setup worked.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by Aquatica
    Quote Originally Posted by scent of a mule

solar?
    Yes the box on top of the intermatic timer is the solar box (aqualink II) that regulates the flow valve to the panels based on set temperatures. The white box is obviously the SWG box. You can see where each flex whip is running.

8. Back To Top    #8

[quote=scent of a mule]
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquatica
    Quote Originally Posted by "scent of a mule":y3vkor9w

solar?
    Yes the box on top of the intermatic timer is the solar box (aqualink II) that regulates the flow valve to the panels based on set temperatures. The white box is obviously the SWG box. You can see where each flex whip is running.[/quote:y3vkor9w]

oh yes one of my clients had one of those. never worked. I think he needed a lot more panels to heat the water than he did.

I know the aqua rite manual says to hook up panel to the time clock. not sure what the solar says but best to check. I see no problems hooking both to the timer.