Can I use different bulbs in a spa light?

Aug 7, 2009
I need to change the bulb on my spa light. It is a pentair light and calls for an r20 bulb. I would like to put in a colored bulb but the three that I have bought are all a centimeter or two longer than the one in there. I would have thought all r20 bulbs were a standard length?? The r20 is a medium width base bulb. Can I take say a different medium width base bulb, say a PAR20, of the the same or lower watts and came volts and replace it with that?

ps0303 said:
Are all of the bulbs you looked at or tried made for use in a pool or spa?

I have a spa replacement bulb that is an R20 that fits. I would like to put in a colored bulb except all the colored r20 bulbs are too long. So was wondering from an electrical point of view, can any medium base bulb go into a medium base socket as long as it stays at or under the watt limit? Are spa bulbs special in any way? Btw, I tried the covered caps and they are useless.

Pool/spa bulbs are different than say a regular flood light bulb. As long as the bulb is made for a spa, then you can use it. If it doesn't say "spa" or "pool" on the package, do not attempt to use it. It will overheat and possibly explode.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.