Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Rubber Hose came off Polaris Cleaner

1. Back To Top    #1

Rubber Hose came off Polaris Cleaner

The hose came off my Polaris 280 right behind the float head.

The problem is I can slide the hose back over the spout (sorry) but the "clamp" is threaded, and I can't push the clamp over the connection to secure it. Am I missing a part? I looked thru the Polaris diagram, and I don't see anything that I am missing.

Could I use a ziptie for now? The cleaner is scheduled to come on in about 20 minutes... so I'd like to find the missing piece if there is one. You can see in the photos that that same clamp is being used on the other side. Superman must have put that one on!

Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Helen
    Dallas Area, 16,000 gal IG, Easytouch 8 computer, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed pool pump, Pentair Smart Pump 4x160, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump, FNS 60 DE 60, Mastertemp 400, Rainbow 320, Dual Timer w/ freeze protection, Intellichor SWG, TF100 Test Kit, POOL FILLED AUG 3, 2012, ORDER YOUR TF100 KIT FROM http://tftestkits.net
    http://www.troublefreepool.com/under...ie-t49936.html

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Rubber Hose came off Polaris Cleaner

That nut just screws over the bulge in the hose to secure it over the barb on the float. Once you put the hose back over the barb just start screwing the nut over the bulge. It might help to warm the hose up a bit.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3

Thanks Dave! I'll dip it in very hot water and see if I can make that work!

Appreciate the quick response!
    Helen
    Dallas Area, 16,000 gal IG, Easytouch 8 computer, Intelliflo 3HP Variable Speed pool pump, Pentair Smart Pump 4x160, Pentair 3/4 HP Booster Pump, FNS 60 DE 60, Mastertemp 400, Rainbow 320, Dual Timer w/ freeze protection, Intellichor SWG, TF100 Test Kit, POOL FILLED AUG 3, 2012, ORDER YOUR TF100 KIT FROM http://tftestkits.net

4. Back To Top    #4

I think I actually used an adjustable wrench on mine to give me more leverage - no come to think of it I used a plumbing wrench - not exactly the right tool but what I had handy.
    Inlaws Pool Boy since June 14th 2012, Pool built ~ 2003, In-Ground, 16'x32'
    13500 gal, Vinyl Liner, Fiberglass Slide, TF-100 Test Kit, Hayward 210T
    sand filter, A.O. Smith 1.5HP main pump motor (C48L2N134C1),
    Hayward SuperPump (model ?), Polaris 380 & PB4 Booster Pump

5. Back To Top    #5

In the Industry

I'm guessing that you're putting the nut on the hose first?
    The nut goes onto the hard plastic part first, then you slide the hose on and turn the nut to tighten (look at the other side of the backup valve).
    You may have to cut a little off the hose if has become distorted.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

6. Back To Top    #6

Quax, I was trying to do it the wrong way I think. For now, I put a tidy little zip tie on.

If I am understanding you correctly, I should put the nut on the plastic first. Then put the hose over the plastic, then twist/back the nut out over the top of the union. (I'm only saying "twist" because of the threading in the nut.)

I'll have to attempt this tomorrow morning as I am headed out to BS in a bit. Thanks so much!
    Helen

7. Back To Top    #7

In the Industry

Quote Originally Posted by imrodee
    Quax, I was trying to do it the wrong way I think. For now, I put a tidy little zip tie on.

If I am understanding you correctly, I should put the nut on the plastic first. Then put the hose over the plastic, then twist/back the nut out over the top of the union. (I'm only saying "twist" because of the threading in the nut.)

I'll have to attempt this tomorrow morning as I am headed out to BS in a bit. Thanks so much!
    That is correct. If the soft hose is buggered up, cut it back to beyond the bulge.
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!