Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Pool timer

1. Back To Top    #1

Pool timer

My pool has a model Intermatic T10604R timer box. It appears this set-up is for two speed pumps. I think mine is a one speed pump, as the left hand timer does not have any "on-off" devices on it.
    My right hand timer has malfunctioned. Being smart like I am, I figured I would swap the (apparently unused) left timer for the right. I was in a hurry and did not work out the wiring. I just swapped the two timers and duplicated the existing wiring. Nothing happened. It would not turn on the pump manually.
    Do I need this "double timer" box. Can I use a cheaper single timer box. Is there a source for replacement timers for the Intermatic boxes. Are the timers in this double box really different.
    What do you think.
    Don
    Don Muncy
    14,000g IG Gunnite 10 yrs old DE filter 2HP pump Dallas TX

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Pool timer

The T10604R is two different timers in the same box, a T104 (on-off) and a T106(hi-lo). You can't safely substitute the T106 for the T104, so don't try. Even if it works, it would not be safe.

You can replace the T104 easily, the mechanism alone is a T104M.

http://1000bulbs.com/product/3344/EL...FQdnOgodNTIALA

How is the T104 not working? Does the motor run? There is an oblong view port at the top center. Does the gear in there move? If not, you probably just need a new motor. This is a really easy swap as long as you make sure to remove all power to the box while you are working on it. You can get the motor at any Internatic dealer, just bring in the old one. It should be this one http://www.poolplaza.com/P-INT-30-676.htmlYou might even be able to steal the motor from the T106--compare the numbers.

Find a dealer here: http://www.intermatic.com/en/Locator.aspx

I would strongly recommend you either take your time and figure out the wiring or find someone who can to do this for you. Don't guess with 220V.
    Current: 28,000G 18'x36' I/G AnthonySylvan Plaster; Waterway 60 sq.ft. DE Filter; 1.0hp x 1.65 SF Two-Speed (B2982) WhisperFlo; 2004-Present
    Previous: 40,000G 20'x40' I/G Koven unlined WWII salvage 5/8" marine steel; Lomart Stainless Sand Filter; 3/4hp Hayward SuperPump; 1946-2003 (managed by me from about 1964)
    Ancient Taylor K-2000, upgraded with Taylor CH, TA, and FAS-DPD, and TFT CYA tests.

3. Back To Top    #3

Re: Pool timer

Durk,
    Thank you very much for your response. You are absolutely correct. I should have worked out the circuits before proceeding.
    The motor is probably at fault, as it will run, but not at the proper speed (time not correct). I will check into possibly just replacing the motor.
    I love this site.
    Don

The T10604R is two different timers in the same box, a T104 (on-off) and a T106(hi-lo). You can't safely substitute the T106 for the T104, so don't try. Even if it works, it would not be safe.

You can replace the T104 easily, the mechanism alone is a T104M.
    Don Muncy
    14,000g IG Gunnite 10 yrs old DE filter 2HP pump Dallas TX