New pool help please

Sep 26, 2012
st louis, MO
hello

I have been reading this forum and found good info but i'm to the point that i need help

its a 10,000 indoor pool, pool only gets light from skylights (needs heated in the summer still)

I moved in and the pool was fine, I checked the level weekly and put one 3inch clorine tab in the pool and all was well.

about 1.5 months after we moved We had a party, lots of kids, I increased the Clorin from 3 to 6 on the colrinator before the party. the pool was a little cloudy for about 2 days and cleared up fine

we have been using the pool and I when to take the cover off to use it again (had been about a week) and it was cloudy.

From reading here i bought a Taylor kit

FC = 2.5
CC = 2.5
CH = 400
TA = 200
PH = 7.7 (also used my digital meter for this)
CYA = ??? we could not get a reading the tube was perfectly clear all the way through? tried the test 2 times
temp = 88

i used http://www.poolcalculator.com/ and got 0.73 witch is what i got with the test kit.

I Think it needs shocked, but i don't want to waste chemicals until i know about the CYA

also the TA seems really high

we use well water to fill the pool witch lucky comes out 7.2 - 7.5 ph LOL but it is hard water and Iron heavy.

i would not mind the BBB but i just bought clorine tabs and pool-perfect off amazon and shock.... :( witch i can't return.

It looks like CC is much too high. You will need to leave the cover off to let that CC escape, and you need to shock the pool. Right to double check the CYA. I am not sure of chlorine needs when CYA is so low.

CYA could be zero but I would expect that one 7 oz trichlor tablet per week would give you 3 ppm per week of CYA and that would build up over time. Assuming that is trichlor. Can you check the label for ingredients? It looks like you are normally adding 12 ppm of CYA a month, then there ought to be some natural loss of CYA but not much. Still you ought to have a slow build up. How long since this pool was filled? If it has only been a few months, and if you just bought the house you may not know if it happened just before you got it, 2 months would give you a CYA level near 20 which is the limit of the test. Longer than that ought to have the level higher.

Controlling CC's in an indoor pool is more difficult than outdoor pools, anonaperson's suggestion to leave the cover off to let the CC drop is good advice, you need to start the shock process to reduce Combined Chlorine to a happier level, ideally 0.5ppm or less Tri-Chlor tablets will not be of assistance in doing this as they dissolve too slowly, if your CYA level is truly so low, you can continue to use the Tri-Chlor pucks for regular chlorination, but need bleach/sodium hypochlorite to start the shock process, Do not use Calcium Hypochlorite or Di-Chlor for shocking either as both these products will add products that are undesirable.

It will take a while for Tri Tabs CYA donation to show up in a pool that has zero CYA so I would put best guesstimate of CYA around 10-20ppm, which you should factor into your shocking level, you don't want very much CYA in an indoor pool, but it will help hold Free Chlorine residuals when around to 30ppm nicely.

With that in mind, you now need to start the shock process as detailed here:
pool-school/shocking_your_pool
I would recommend a shock level of 12ppm, which should cover the range of possible CYA levels you may have.
Your done shocking when your CC's are >0.5ppm, your water is clear and you lose less than 1ppm Free Chlorine overnight.

I would also recommend lowering pH before you start shocking to 7.2, as your pH rises you can keep adding acid to bring it down again, which will inturn lower your TA level, aerating your water as described here will speed up this process for you.
pool-school/lowering%20total%20alkalinity

With your high CH levels it is also important that you keep your pH slightly lower than normal to prevent scale forming, so once you have TA under control I would recommend maintaining pH in the 7.2-7.5 range, with 7.3-7.4 likely optimal.

Regards
Stuart

EDIT: are you sure CC is not Total Chlorine? Ie with the test for FC DPD1 you would have 2.5ppm, then the DPD3 test would return either 5ppm to give 2.5ppm CC or 2.5 to return 0.0CC

thanks for the help,

the cover is off the pool right now...... witch is why i need this solved cover off = heater runs lol

i think the FC = 2.5 and the CC = 2.5 so TC = 5

Ill have to retest again tonight to see where its at.

the CYA could be low because when i back flush i take the pool down to the skimmer and then then top off the pool (usually about 1 time a month unless it gets heavy usage) so i do a mini water change.

I order chlorine free shock as my wife is sensitive to chlorine, I hope that wasn't a mistake. :hammer:

Her perceived sensitivity to chlorine most likely isn't a problem. Her sensitivity to CC's probably are, but with an indoor pool using chlorine free shock isn't a bad thing. It will knock the CC's down and that's what you need if the CC test number is correct.

Bama Rambler said:
Her perceived sensitivity to chlorine most likely isn't a problem. Her sensitivity to CC's probably are, but with an indoor pool using chlorine free shock isn't a bad thing. It will knock the CC's down and that's what you need if the CC test number is correct.
okay thanks I will test again once the stuff gets here...... and post before i do anything lol

i will need to buy some PH down, can i use the BBB month for this witch i think was borax right?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.