Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Going on vacation with new plaster

1. Back To Top    #1

Going on vacation with new plaster

Hi Everyone -

My new pool finished filling on September 14th. I'm going on vacation for week, starting September 27th. Unfortunately, I won't have anyone to help care for the pool while I'm gone. Any suggestions?
    I'm planning on filling my floater with trichlor pucks. How many should I use? Also, my ph is high at 8.2. Do i need to get this down before I go (no one will be using the pool while I'm gone).

My current numbers are:
    FC: .5
    CC: 0
    PH: 8.2
    CH: 190
    CYA: 0
    TA: 90

Thanks in advance!
    14700 gal. L-shaped IG gray plaster pool, Intelliflo VSP, Pentair Clean&Clear Plus Cartridge Filter 320, Intellichlor IC40 with 6x10 shelf, two Intellibrite LED lights, solar.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Going on vacation with new plaster

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntweasel12
    Also, my ph is high at 8.2. Do i need to get this down
    YES!!!

It is very important to keep the pH in range while new plaster is curing ... you may need to be adjusting the pH daily.

What did you plasterer give you as far as instructions for the curing process?
    Do you have a full set of test results?
    Do you have a cover?

Are you keeping track of your CYA from using the pucks? They will help keep the pH down while you are gone and will add FC.

My preliminary suggestions before hearing your answers to the above questions:
    1. Get the pH down to the low 7s and keep it there until you are going to leave
    2. Then using liquid chlorine, bring the FC up to shock level
    3. Fill the floater up with as many pucks as you can to try to hold the pH down and keep the FC up
    OR
    3. Put a cover on (probably the better option with a couple pucks)
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

3. Back To Top    #3

Can you hire the plasterer to return to tend to the pool?
    23,000 gallon in ground pool with rock waterfall and spillover spa, Aqualink control system, Polaris 380 cleaner, Purex Triton Clean&Clear Plus cartridge filter. Located in The Woodlands, Texas.

Pool owner since Nov 2008, Trouble Free since April 2009. Happy to help when I can.

4. Back To Top    #4

Unfortunately, I can't hire the plasterer. In terms of full test results, I thought I posted them in my original post...what am i missing?

I also don't have a cover.

I added two cups of muriatic acid this evening. My ph is now at 7.2. I put three pucks in the floater. I'm going to add some liquid chlorine before I leave tomorrow. Since i have the three pucks in, how much bleach (6%) should I put in?

Thanks!
    14700 gal. L-shaped IG gray plaster pool, Intelliflo VSP, Pentair Clean&Clear Plus Cartridge Filter 320, Intellichlor IC40 with 6x10 shelf, two Intellibrite LED lights, solar.

5. Back To Top    #5

Oh, yeah ... forgot the test results were there.

So what did the plaster company say to do? Your CH seems way too low for a new setup and should probably be increased or the plaster could be damaged.

Use the bleach to raise to shock level.

Wait, just realized that you reported your CYA as 0. So none of your FC is protected from the sun and will likely be broken down very quickly ... I have my doubts about any FC remaining when you get back.

I am amazed that it seems like the plaster company has not done or suggested adjustment in the last 2 weeks.
    Jason, TFP Moderator
    18k IG pebblesheen pool, Hayward ProLogic P4 w/ T-15 SWG, Pentair 1HP 2-speed Superflo, Hayward 6020 DE filter
    500 sqft Heliocol solar panels, ThePoolCleaner, TF-100 test kit w/ SpeedStir
    Pool School + Test Kit + PoolMath = A TROUBLE FREE POOL
    If you found TFP helpful and we saved you money ... Become a TFP Supporter!

6. Back To Top    #6

The plaster company basically plastered the pool and took off. I think they are relying on the pool builder's pool maintenance guy, who I do not have any confidence in. I found out that the pool guy put calcium in at start up on the 14th and I don't think he's tested it since. The last time he came out, I saw him use the testing kit the pool builder left for me (Oreq TK-400) then throw the test water back in the pool!

When testing for ph, he didn't even use the chlorine neutralizer like the Oreq directions indicated.

When I read the last post, I was so panicked that I re-did the CH test on the TF-100. After reading the extended directions for the CH test (courtesy of TFP) I added five drops of R-0012 before the R0010 and the R-0011L. It looks like my CH is actually 210. Is that better? I'm hoping this issue keeps since I don't have any calcium chloride and home depot doesn't open until 6am. I'm supposed to be on my way to the airport by then. Will my plaster be ruined if I don't add calcium until next Thursday?

Fingers crossed.