How can I minimize algae while pump is not in service?

Aug 18, 2011
Tucson, Arizona
My pump has died and the new one is already ordered but will not arrive until next week. The water is already starting to turn green as the pump has been off for about a week now.

Is there anything I can do to minimize the algae in the pool until my pump arrives and is installed?

Add bleach and brush the pool to mix it. My pool was without a pump for 2 weeks and never turned green ... got dirty, but no algae.

You can try to keep the FC up closer to shock level to start the kill and hold off the algae, but it will need a lot of brushing to keep the water mixed (try a whale brush)

... Hey, just saw that you are an neighbor :wave:

majalcarg:

Here's a thread from another member who was without power for over a week after a major storm followed by temps in the upper 90's to over 100°F. http://www.troublefreepool.com/newbie-trying-to-avoid-a-problem-t48804.html. Pretty much what JB stated, just contains more details if you're interested.

Also second the use of the Wall Whale brush. I replaced my old brush with a Wall Whale XL and the difference is night & day.

If you have a sump pump or other pump, there is no reason it can't do pool water. I put a 5' length of hose on a junk pump with a heavy bit of pipe on the end. If I string it out, the pump will do a bit of circulating. It would also be the logical place to dump bleach - as it settles, the pump will pick it up and spread it around.
Note: the weight I use is about 1 pound (old, real brass drain pipe) - the pump whips it around nicely. Use a MUCH heavier weight if you want the end to stay where you put it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.