Is my TA and CH ok?

Hi all,

Been using BBB since the begining of summer and all is well. Crystal clear and sparkly water! My CYA is still a bit high (60) due to prior use of pucks and I will address that this winter with rain dilution and then adjust to ~ 40 next spring.

My questions...

1) is my TA too high, and if so, what may have caused that and what are the potential consequences? Should I address now, in the spring, or don't worry about it.

2) is my CH too low, and if so, what may have caused that and what are the potential consequences? Should I address now, in the spring, or don't worry about it.

Test results from the TF100 kit.

pH = 7.5
FC = 6
CC = 0
CYA = 60
TA = 230
CH = 150

My fill water is well water with a pH of 7.8 and CH of 110. I usa a clear solar cover and the pool stays between about 84 and 92F during the summer. Perhaps the TA and CH are out of whack due to Crud the pool store had me adding when I bought the house in the spring?

Thanks for your comments and advice!

John

I don't know much about fiberglass pools, in my vinyl pool I don't worry about either to much. My fill water is high on both, and both come down with rain water dilution. TA also comes down as I adjust for rising PH with acid. What is your fill water TA?

See:
pool-school/recommended_levels

Looks like your CH is low and your TA is certainly high.

The TA will not hurt anything, but will make your pH rise more quickly ... keeping the pH in line will work to lower the TA ... or you can actively try to lower it using the process described in Pool School.

I am not sure what the lower CH will do the the fiberglass, but the recommended levels are what they are for some reason ;)

I've adjusted TA fast and I've done it slow and I think it is the same amount of work, only the time frame differs. My advice is to mind your pH and let the TA take care of itself. Use Muriatic Acid to lower the pH, TA will very slowly fall.

If your tap water TA is high, then every time you add water to the pool that TA will rise a tiny bit, every time you add MA it will fall a tiny bit. Any rain ought to add water with no TA. Over time you expect the TA to fall, just beware to not add things that increase it. That is, always check the Pool Calculator, Effect of Adding Chemicals, or ask here before you add products to the pool.

Do check your TA maybe once a week, as when it declines by say 10%, then you need 10% less MA to create the same change in pH that you targeted.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.