Any good suggestions to remove plaster from return threads?

aquiapools

In The Industry
May 31, 2011
San Antonio, TX
After a recent replaster, I can't screw down the eyelets because of gunite overspray on the threads of the pool returns. Any ideas to get this stuff off? The returns are original to the pool, so they may be too brittle to withstand any attempts to chip it off.

Re: Any good suggestions to remove plaster from return threa

Welcome to TFP.

What material are the fittings made of?
What size are the fittings?
Assuming they're 1½" female you could try a pipe tap that size to clean them out.

Like Bama said, a properly sized tap would make quick work of it. However a tap that size can be expensive. If you can find a length of threaded pipe that matches up to your fitting it should work as well as a real tap. If the pipe coming from the wall is male, a 1 1/2" coupling will work as a die. Be gentle and go slow, reversing frequently to allow the plaster chips to dislodge from the threads.

Muriatic acid might work but it may also streak the wall under the fitting. Return fittings should have female threads not male threads. There are three parts to most return fittings. The retaining ring, the eyeball and the threaded or slip wall fitting that fits into the pipe. Do you have all those parts?

Bama Rambler said:
Muriatic acid might work but it may also streak the wall under the fitting. Return fittings should have female threads not male threads. There are three parts to most return fittings. The retaining ring, the eyeball and the threaded or slip wall fitting that fits into the pipe. Do you have all those parts?
That is what I was thinking too. It sounds like the threaded inserts are in the returns and can be removed which - if true - solves the problem.

-sent with Tapatalk 2

These are spa jets and what is coming out of the wall has threads on the outside. The retaining ring will not screw down the threads because of the plaster on the threads. I took the retaining rings to a home improvement store and they would not screw down on an 1-1/2 PVC male adapter. The threads looked the same, but I didn't try using a galvanized nipple. I thought of that only after I left the store.

it would be tedious, but what about a dental pick or probe? Just pick it out.

I would leery of trying to chase threads with a tap (or die) on PVC. It could easily turn into cutting new double threads.

-dave

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

aquiapools said:
These are spa jets and what is coming out of the wall has threads on the outside. The retaining ring will not screw down the threads because of the plaster on the threads. I took the retaining rings to a home improvement store and they would not screw down on an 1-1/2 PVC male adapter. The threads looked the same, but I didn't try using a galvanized nipple. I thought of that only after I left the store.

Just to be clear - you are SURE that there is no internal part that can be removed that would leave you with the 1.5" MIP threads? I thought my fittings were like that until I did some reading and realized mine had inserts that could be removed. Maybe a picture?

Just-a-PB said:
Remove the eyeballs, and use a threaded section of 1 1/2" schedule 80 pipe to clear threads. Just ease in, and ease out and it will clean them right up.
The only threads showing are external like the ones the retaining collar for an eyeball fitting would screw onto.

- Sent using Tapatalk

UnderWaterVanya said:
aquiapools said:

Just to be clear - you are SURE that there is no internal part that can be removed that would leave you with the 1.5" MIP threads? I thought my fittings were like that until I did some reading and realized mine had inserts that could be removed. Maybe a picture?

I will shoot a picture tomorrow when I am at the pool.

I've used a dremel with a tiny grinding tip to clean plaster out of my in-floor cleaner heads...not sure if the pool is drained in your case or if the you could get the tool at the right angle.

aquiapools said:
UnderWaterVanya said:
aquiapools said:

I will shoot a picture tomorrow when I am at the pool.

Sounds like a plan!

- Sent using Tapatalk

Looks like they left the eyeball fitting in the return and plastered around it. Either that or that's a male pipe adapter. Either way it should be female.

aquiapools said:
Here is a picture of one of the returns.

Looking inside that return - is there a slot notched in it? The Hayward one's have a notch cut into them that allows you to insert a plastic card and use it as a wrench to remove the insert. The point Bama is making is that this part you see sticking out is very likely just screwed into the r"eal" return plumbing and this part can and should come out which will allow you to throw it away and get a new one. If you reach into the return with a dental probe or if you could get into the pool and look carefully up in the hole with some light you probably would see a small lip all the way around about 2 inches inside the hole where the insert ends and the actual return pipe is larger than this insert.

Take a look at this image - I won't post it inline here - but this will help you visualize it:
http://www.poolpartsonline.com/popup.as ... ze%3dlarge

Notice the item on the far left? It is what we think the part sticking out of your wall is.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.