Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Can I close this way?

1. Back To Top    #1

Can I close this way?

First, i am in NW Tennessee. We don't get super cold and water never froze last year so i wanted to go about things differently for this second winter of being a pool owner. Last year, I ordered a closing kit from In The Swim, removed the filter, hoses, etc and covered with a black mesh like cover so water could drain. I opened this spring to a swampy pond and frog habitat and found this site. So, (after forgetting to keep a check on my chlorine the past few wks and developing some algae), i thought about doing it this way. I have shocked the pool and held the FC at 22 for a few days. Currently, these are my readings:

TC 20
    PH 7.3 or so
    TA 120
    CYA 35

Can i leave the pump attached and simply check chlorine levels until spring (meaning to never let it disappear)? I would run the pump any time we are close to the freezing temps and still use the black mesh cover. Will the chlorine eat up the cover though? I do NOT want to lose weeks again to trying to clear a green swamp in spring.
    18'x52" Intex Ultra frame pool, 6981 gallons
    Intex Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump, 2100 GPH

Under pecan trees (stupid move) and gets little to no snow in the winter.

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Can I close this way?

You may risk freeze damage, even running the pump. If you go this route, you can just maintain normal FC levels as you do during the season
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

3. Back To Top    #3

That's what I was thinking. Assuming I should wait until the FC drops to add the cover? I have a LOT of trees around the pool and they are starting to drop so i wanted to get it covered up. Unless we have several days and nights of below freezing tem
    ps in a row, i dont *think* it would freeze.

4. Back To Top    #4

20 ppm FC is a little high for a CYA of 35 but not too much. You can go ahead and cover it and just run the pump once in a while to keep it circulated and test the FC every few days or so. At 20 ppm FC with a CYA of 35 you won't "eat up the cover" Besides, it'll come down.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

5. Back To Top    #5

I was trying to shock it as it turned a bit green. Even with days of it remaining around 20, it still has a green tint to it though...just checked. I dont thoroughly understand it as the levels seem to be okay.

6. Back To Top    #6

Outside of the green tint, have you passed all three shocking criteria...ie the water is clear just with a green tint?
    I'm thinking it may be copper in your water, but answer first. Thaank you!
    24'x52" AGP (13,500 Gallons), Intex SWG, (2)Solar Bear 4x20 panels, Hayward S220T Filter, 1/2hp Pentair Superflo

Pool School, TFTestKits, Pool Calculator

7. Back To Top    #7

Yes, it passes all the criteria. We are on well water and I noticed over the past mth, some rust staining inside of my filter area. IDK if that matters.

ETA: I just went out to check my filter and it was completely and solidly rust colored. The green tint is a bit less today but i can now tell that it's a slightly hazy and not completely clear. I have no idea what's going on with it.

8. Back To Top    #8

Well we've just got a ton of rain and had really warm temps today. Guess i'll be starting over the shocking process and go from there.