Problems with closing a pool to early?

flyboy320

Jul 23, 2009
Burlington, Ontario, Canada
My dilemma is I'm going away for a week on vacation and the pool this time of year with all the leaves and stuff in the air, needs the skimmer cleaned just about once a day. So I figure my two choices are;

1. Put the winter pool cover on now until I get back (and keep the pump/filter/chlorinator running while away), that way all the debris will stay out and keep the water and filters clean.

2. Close pool now

Problem with option 2 is that it's still warm here (well up to about 15-20 Celsius or 60-70 F) during the day so I'm concerned about algae before it gets cold enough to stop it from growing. I know when I shock when closing it will keep the algae at bay for a while, but still it's a concern.

So now I come to my real question and that's say some algae grows this fall, will that be a problem in the spring, or will the cold winter (living in Toronto), kill any algae that might have been there in the fall?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.