Having Tile at water line of Vinyl IG Pool Advised ??

roadking00

LifeTime Supporter
May 2, 2012
North of Charlotte, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I was at a neighbors house today to check out his new liner I heard he had installed, not only did he have the normal replacement liner done he was advised to try out this new technique to help preserve his new investment.So I thought I would share some pics and the reason why he had to have his 4 yr old liner replaced already and why the recommended new way he tried and how it looks. Has anyone ever seen this done, it actually looks really cool, I may have went with a different tile color choice but the idea makes sense and opens up alot of options for us vinyl owners when liner replacement comes along...

Why, from what he was told all liner manufacturers had to start changing batches of the polymers or something (leaving out certain ingredients?) in their process of making the vinyl for pool liners so they degrade in the landfills better (or at all?) when they eventually get replaced and thrown out. So the part of the liner that sits above the waterline and subjected to the suns rays beaten down on it all the time will degrade alot faster compared to liners manufactured years ago? Hence, his liner started cracking/splitting after just 4 yrs of having it replaced.

He said the liner was installed like normal but afterwards they installed a top/bottom track type system that allowed the tiles (5 or 6" I believe) to snap right into the track system (no grout used at all) and act as a barrier from the sun at 2" below his waterline and up to the bottom of the coping. He said they had to screw through the liner to mount the bottom track but used a certain type of screw with a rubber seal that eliminates any potential water seepage through to behind the liner ?? Thats the part I wish I could have seen done, a little wiery on that sealing part ??

Anyhow, it looks real nice and he is real happy with the work and believes his investment is protected for many years... Just thought I would post about it and see it there is anyone here that's ever heard of this being done elsewhere ?? I'll be needing a liner replacement in a season or 2 so its a very interesting option for me to look into in the near future, I just hope there's not that many color tile options out there to choose from because I can see my wife having a VERY colorful waterline frenzy happening when the time comes :shock:

2012-09-24_12-28-26_67.jpg

2012-09-24_12-28-56_46.jpg

Yes from what I was able to see it looked like your typical 1/4" thick tile, I'm going to look into it a bit more with the contractor who did it....have you ever heard the senerio about the polymer changes in the making of the liners to help out the degrading at the landfill? ?

We use a product called Tru-Tile from Latham Plastics. It is a plastic track system that attaches to the wall prior to installing vinyl. You then glue the frost proof tile to the track, grout it, then install the new liner. Latham has about 24 different vinyl patterns for this, the tile supplier we use has approximately 40 pages of different color and patterned tiles. This does take a special liner to attach to the track. Also haven't heard the part about the change in formulation to help degrading in a landfill. Would be interesting to know who the manufacturer is of the system. So in other words he will have to remove the ceramic tile, uninstall the track, to replace the liner in the future?

swimcmp said:
We use a product called Tru-Tile from Latham Plastics. It is a plastic track system that attaches to the wall prior to installing vinyl. You then glue the frost proof tile to the track, grout it, then install the new liner. Latham has about 24 different vinyl patterns for this, the tile supplier we use has approximately 40 pages of different color and patterned tiles. This does take a special liner to attach to the track. Also haven't heard the part about the change in formulation to help degrading in a landfill.

Yeah but this seems to be a different but same type of technique, the liner is a typical install and hooks to the same existing liner track and then a additional top/bottom track is installed and the tiles are snapped inbetween the tracks with no grouting or glue? ? So a little different application but similar...will check into both options now..

So water is able to get behind the tiles and the track to some extent?

Sounds like an algae haven possibly.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

swimcmp said:
We use a product called Tru-Tile from Latham Plastics. It is a plastic track system that attaches to the wall prior to installing vinyl. You then glue the frost proof tile to the track, grout it, then install the new liner. Latham has about 24 different vinyl patterns for this, the tile supplier we use has approximately 40 pages of different color and patterned tiles. This does take a special liner to attach to the track. Also haven't heard the part about the change in formulation to help degrading in a landfill. Would be interesting to know who the manufacturer is of the system. So in other words he will have to remove the ceramic tile, uninstall the track, to replace the liner in the future?

Any idea how to look up a list of dealers/installers that use Tru-Tile in my area ? Been searching the net and don't see anything ??

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.