Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Bad Capacitor?

1. Back To Top    #1

Bad Capacitor?

Got a new pump for a customer today. Wired it up, plumbed it, and when I turned it on it makes a loud stressful noise like it is trying to get started but it never does and after 30 seconds or so it kicks the internal breaker. The motors voltage is 230 which is what we need. The impeller is spinning freely by hand. The wires in the back of the motor are all secured with the right contacts. The two wires going in to the capacitor are secure. What the heck is going on here? Please help if you can. Thanks.

2. Back To Top    #2

In the Industry

Re: Bad Capacitor?

Sounds like what it is.
    Did you test the Cap to see if it is good?
    Here is a decent video on testing one if you have a analog ohm meter.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-cVgpz7GYQ

3. Back To Top    #3

Cool video!
    Thanks.

I might add that you can't always reliably test a capacitor with a multimeter, by just testing resistance. You need an actual capacitor tester that will charge it and measure it's capacitance, IE. if it properly holds a charge and isn't 'leaky' or weak.

But a multimeter on it's own, will definitely show a capacitor that has totally failed, for sure. But not one that's haywire or, beginning to fail, IE. intermittent.
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

4. Back To Top    #4

You say the motor is noisy, but I've never had a bad cap cause a motor to be noisy. Just a hum.
    TFP Moderator
    20K Gallon 20X36 Vinyl Inground
    Hayward S244T Sand Filter with 1HP Whisperflo Pump. Liquidator C-201 and Solar Heat

5. Back To Top    #5

6. Back To Top    #6

Quote Originally Posted by keene3b07
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etoWlUoCrvg&feature=plcp

Video of the Pump in question
    Whoa! That's nasty.
    So did you test the CAP?

Being that it's new, I'd just RMA it through the manuf. but I know that can be a pain with things and often means being without the item in question. Unless they'll do an advanced RMA/Cross Ship.
    Thanks for reading... - Tony
    Da' Pool: Intex 15'x42" 3284gal AGP EasySet (Inflatable Ring) - (Summer 2014: 27' round EW /w 6.5' deep end @ 22,500gal)
    Pump & Cart Mod: 1000gph Cart. 5ft² - 2 nylons, 24/7 OP. Traps bugs/bits, lasts longer/cleans easier = Happier Pool Owner!!
    The Bible for a "Trouble Free Pool" life = PoolSchool, the BBB method a TF100 test kit(Recommend Kits Compared). - Cleaning a Sand Filter
    Water looks like GLASS, if yours doesn't...SLAM IT! Feels nice and never been happier!!! :D

7. Back To Top    #7

i did not test the cap. i dont have the equip.

8. Back To Top    #8

In the Industry

What brand pump is that, doesn't look familiar.

Thats sounds nasty, like a year old hayward pump.

Disclaimer:
    Not all hayward pumps sound like this after a year, but some can.
    these views are not that of TFP, and meant to be sort of a joke!!

9. Back To Top    #9

its a waterway pump...so everyone thinks its just a bad pump?

10. Back To Top    #10

Bad cap or centrifugal switch or wired wrong internally. I would return it.
    16' x 32' IG vinyl liner w/ hopper bottom (12,500 gal), Single-speed 1 HP Sta-Rite pump, and 300# Cristal-Flo sand filter, TF-100 test kit