Where does the pump go? Pipe slope need to know yesterday

4knights

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2012
NE Kansas
Ok pool guru's,
I'm finally installing my pool (signature line) I'm running the 2" plumbing and seem to get varying answers on pipe slope and pump placement.

So, does the slope for Main drain & Skimmer lines need to slope toward the drain or toward the pump? How much slope? Why?

Same question for the return lines?

I can do it either way right now as all lines are exposed and not fixed in any position. Just want to do it right!
Thanks
Ron

Re: Where does the pump go? Pipe slope need to know yesterda

No expert here ... but I can not see how the slope matters at all. The pump is going to be sitting on the ground, the pool is below the ground. So by default the "slope" is going to be down from the pump to the pool. Maybe I am over simplifing things, or not fully understanding. ;)

IG pool pumps are designed to prime while being slightly above the water line. AG pool pumps are required to be below the water line to prime.

I have read that it's critical to slope the lines to prevent air lock?
Right now my backyard is sloped enough that if I just pured a pad in place the pump could be at the same level or below the skimmer intake.
Just need to be positive before I pour the pad and bury the lines.

Hopefully someone else will chime in.

I think the best place for the pump is to have the pool water line in the middle of the pump basket. Makes for easy priming and does not overflow when you clean the basket out (like if it was slightly below the water line).

Now how the pipes underground should be sloped ... I have no idea, but still do not understand how it matters. If there is air in the suction or return pipes, it should be purged when the pump is running.

Ehow strikes again.
You can slope if you like, or keep them plumb and level. We mainly keep them plumb and level as possible.
I know nothing about winterizing, Phoenix native, so that may change my answer if you are in a freezing climate.

If pipes are coming out below the water level you wont have an issue.
If you are going to set any of your equipment below the water level, make sure you install service valves so you can work on equipment without draining your pool.
Best to have it same height as your deck, then no issues.

Just-a-PB said:
Ehow strikes again.
You can slope if you like, or keep them plumb and level. We mainly keep them plumb and level as possible.
I know nothing about winterizing, Phoenix native, so that may change my answer if you are in a freezing climate.

If pipes are coming out below the water level you wont have an issue.
If you are going to set any of your equipment below the water level, make sure you install service valves so you can work on equipment without draining your pool.
Best to have it same height as your deck, then no issues.

I am in a freezing climate, yes EHow and other websites gave me the slope info. Wasn't sure if it's true and I appreciate you guys giving me the right info.

I do have grade stakes that show me exactly where the pool deck final grade will be and I had marked the base of the pad for that level but it means adding (by shovel, since the equipment has been returned) about 3-4 yards of dirt to bring the ground up to the mark.
No issue just more time and Motrin. :whip:
I'll keep the plumbing as close to level as possible.
Thanks
Ron

As just-a-pb and Jason have already said, I can't imagine the slope making any difference. I DIY'd my pool 8 years ago and paid no attention whatsoever to pipe slope. No issues so far nor do I expect any.

Well, mine is slightly below water level. I like a little overflow when I clean the pump basket. The slope of the pipe itself, makes little difference, I would think. Water is going to collect at one end or the other. If it is perfectly level, it will spread out, but max depth after blowing is probably going to be about the same. I'll go out on a limb and say blowing is probably more effective if there is a slope away from where you blow from. But not by much.

My old pool pump was underground (pool house basement) and all the lines sloped back toward the pump/filter. As pipe runs were straight in through the basement walls, everything would gravity drain back toward the pump area once you dropped the water level. We never blew a line for over fifty years and never froze a pipe.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.