What is broken?

Sep 24, 2012
I have had a CompuPool CPSC36 Chlorine generator installed in my pool for over 3 years, and have not had any issues before. However, when I cleaned the plates of the generator this time (Wednesday), I think something happened (at least that's when I think it happened). When I looked at the equipment this past weekend I noticed the generator was powered off. I verified the control unit was getting power from the timer, so I took the timer apart and found a blown fuse. OK, Good, (I thought). I replaced it and when I turned it on it immediately blew again. (OK, not so good) This time I replaced the fuse, but I disconnected the cell from the controller. This time the controller turned on fine. I'm thinking this sounds like a problem with the cell, so I take the cell out and try to clean between the contacts inside and out and make sure there is nothing shorting the plates together. (But then I thought aren't the plates shorting through the water anyway?) After verifying there is nothing stuck between the plates I start checking the resistance between the connectors to the plates and there in no short (infinite resistance when out of the water). So I figure OK, that must have got it, whatever it was. I put the cell back into the housing and turn on the pump (to fill the cell with water) and I still have infinite resistance between all terminals (this doesn't make sense!). I turn off the equipment and try to clean off the terminals figuring there is something on them blocking contact. I brush the contact pins with a wire brush and now I see there is a small bit of water leaking from around the terminals, so I figure it must bee loose so I'll try to tighten the connector (bad choice). "Crack" goes the plastic piece where the 3 terminals stick out of. Now I have a 1/2" hole around one of the terminals and a crack going from there thru the edge where the o-ring is. Boy, am I Screwed now!
OK now for my questions,
1) What should I be seeing as impedance/resistance between the terminals on the cell? ( the 2 end terminals go to the plates, and the center one is just there for sensing if water is there?)
2) What voltage should I be seeing on the connector to the cell (from the controller)?
3) Where can I go to find a replacement for the broken part?
4) Which part of the generator is having problems, the controller, or the cell?

Sorry to be asking these kinds of questions, but the users manual is no help at all.
Thanks
Rick

Hello all.
Well, I was able to figure out the answer to my 3rd question myself. NOBODY will sell me that part because the manufacturer will not sell it to them. So I was lucky enough to have someone at my work that had a CNC Mill and they were able to make me a replacement piece using the cracked piece I had as a template. I'll let you know how it works.

Now I just need some advice on what is causing the fuse to blow, the cell, or the controller unit?

Also should there be a non conductive coating or "plating" on the 3 connectors to the cell, or should they all be nice shiny brass.

What voltage should I see if I take off the power connector to the cell and measure across the 2 outside terminals on the cable side? Does it need to see water first before it will energize those terminals?

And finally what should I see as a resistance if I measure across the 2 outside terminals of the cell when they are in the water? Should that be a short or should they be insulated from each other?

If anyone has an opinion I'd love to hear it!
Thanks
Rick

Normally if the water indicator (or flow switch) doesn't sense water then the cell will not be energized.

With regards to cell resistance - if the cell isn't submerged in water you should see infinite resistance.
When it's in water, you should see the resistance of the water + plates, but i'm not sure whether the household multimeter can pick it up, so might still show as infinite resistance. It shouldn't be a short though. When measuring resistance - disconnect the cell from the power pack.

I'm not familiar with Compupool's internals, so can't advise on the voltage or why it's blowing the fuse all the time. Maybe the power board has had it, but i'd be just speculating. Have you tried contacting their support department?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.