Leave skimmer cover on when winterizing?

Sep 11, 2012
Mid-Michigan
I know the winter cover does not go around the skimmer to prevent damage but does the plastic skimmer cover go back on top? The reason I ask is because the wind is blowing in through the skimmer opening and under the cover. This is our first year of winterizing so we have the brand new winter cover on with cable ratcheted down then going to use the shrink wrap around 2x to keep it secure. Just the air underneath is fighting us (very windy today so holding off on doing the shrink wrap until it dies down).

Love this forum and cannot wait to join the BBB Club next spring!

I leave the slimmer cover on mine, mainly to keep debris and snow out of it. As for wind, after 5 winters I have yet to figure out how to keep the wind completely out. I use the ratchet/cable, plastic clips and bleach jugs on the side the wind catches. It still gets in there. Maybe the shrink wrap would do the job, can you tell me more about it?

MikeInNH said:
I leave the slimmer cover on mine, mainly to keep debris and snow out of it. As for wind, after 5 winters I have yet to figure out how to keep the wind completely out. I use the ratchet/cable, plastic clips and bleach jugs on the side the wind catches. It still gets in there. Maybe the shrink wrap would do the job, can you tell me more about it?

Called Winter Cover Sealer...it's 500ft of shrink wrap that's 1ft wide we bought when we went to our pool store for Pool School class on winterizing...wrap it around the top of the pool so it covers the bottom of the winter cover and keeps it airtight (2 times around pulling it very tight...on a roll like cling film). I put the skimmer cover back on (it locks in place) and will maybe put a medium size rock on it. The very small hole is much better than the very large hole created without the cover...do not need any debris getting into my sparkling clean pool. :) We're getting 30mph winds here today so not feeling like fighting with the shrink wrap today.

Yeah, I wouldn't put the cover around the skimmer living where I live. It gets many pounds of snow and ice on it. Bama is in Alabama so shouldn't have the same issue. Redhdgirl417, which area of the country do you live? I don't see it listed anywhere.

MikeInNH said:
Yeah, I wouldn't put the cover around the skimmer living where I live. It gets many pounds of snow and ice on it. Bama is in Alabama so shouldn't have the same issue. Redhdgirl417, which area of the country do you live? I don't see it listed anywhere.

Ah yes...I didn't look at his info. He definitely doesn't have to worry about the snow and ice like we do...I'm in good ole mid-Michigan (will be updating my info, thanks for pointing out.

I put the skimmer cover on the housing and has helped tremendously with keeping the wind (and leaves) from blowing into the pool and under the cover. And of course the skimmer is on the west side of the pool...so it will get ALL of the wind this winter. :roll:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.