Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Leave skimmer cover on when winterizing?

1. Back To Top    #1

Leave skimmer cover on when winterizing?

I know the winter cover does not go around the skimmer to prevent damage but does the plastic skimmer cover go back on top? The reason I ask is because the wind is blowing in through the skimmer opening and under the cover. This is our first year of winterizing so we have the brand new winter cover on with cable ratcheted down then going to use the shrink wrap around 2x to keep it secure. Just the air underneath is fighting us (very windy today so holding off on doing the shrink wrap until it dies down).

Love this forum and cannot wait to join the BBB Club next spring!
    13,900gal 24'x52" Backyard Leisure Heritage AGP
    20ml All Swirl Flat Liner
    Pentair 1.5hp Pump and 150# Sand Filter System
    Smart Step Ladder w/Smart Light
    TF100 test kit, BBB Baby!

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Leave skimmer cover on when winterizing?

I leave the slimmer cover on mine, mainly to keep debris and snow out of it. As for wind, after 5 winters I have yet to figure out how to keep the wind completely out. I use the ratchet/cable, plastic clips and bleach jugs on the side the wind catches. It still gets in there. Maybe the shrink wrap would do the job, can you tell me more about it?
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

3. Back To Top    #3

I put the cover back on out skimmer when closing, so whichever works best for you.
    Dave J. TFP Moderator
    24' x 52" Round AGP. 2hp/¼hp SPL Power-Flo 2-speed pump. 200sqft Waterway Cartridge Filter. 45MHP2(3GPD) Stenner Peristaltic Pump
    Pool School ----- Pool Math ----- TF-Test Kit

4. Back To Top    #4

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInNH
    I leave the slimmer cover on mine, mainly to keep debris and snow out of it. As for wind, after 5 winters I have yet to figure out how to keep the wind completely out. I use the ratchet/cable, plastic clips and bleach jugs on the side the wind catches. It still gets in there. Maybe the shrink wrap would do the job, can you tell me more about it?
    Called Winter Cover Sealer...it's 500ft of shrink wrap that's 1ft wide we bought when we went to our pool store for Pool School class on winterizing...wrap it around the top of the pool so it covers the bottom of the winter cover and keeps it airtight (2 times around pulling it very tight...on a roll like cling film). I put the skimmer cover back on (it locks in place) and will maybe put a medium size rock on it. The very small hole is much better than the very large hole created without the cover...do not need any debris getting into my sparkling clean pool. We're getting 30mph winds here today so not feeling like fighting with the shrink wrap today.

5. Back To Top    #5

Quote Originally Posted by Bama Rambler
    I put the cover back on out skimmer when closing, so whichever works best for you.
    Everyone has told us to not do that as it puts strain on the skimmer housing and could crack it. ???

6. Back To Top    #6

Yeah, I wouldn't put the cover around the skimmer living where I live. It gets many pounds of snow and ice on it. Bama is in Alabama so shouldn't have the same issue. Redhdgirl417, which area of the country do you live? I don't see it listed anywhere.
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

7. Back To Top    #7

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInNH
    Yeah, I wouldn't put the cover around the skimmer living where I live. It gets many pounds of snow and ice on it. Bama is in Alabama so shouldn't have the same issue. Redhdgirl417, which area of the country do you live? I don't see it listed anywhere.
    Ah yes...I didn't look at his info. He definitely doesn't have to worry about the snow and ice like we do...I'm in good ole mid-Michigan (will be updating my info, thanks for pointing out.

I put the skimmer cover on the housing and has helped tremendously with keeping the wind (and leaves) from blowing into the pool and under the cover. And of course the skimmer is on the west side of the pool...so it will get ALL of the wind this winter.