Montville NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Turbo Cell (T-CELL-5)
My ABG has a Pentair Aqualuminator on the return. What this means is that I cannot put a plug in the return (the return water comes out around the light)

Here is what I did when closing.

I removed the working bulb that is in there and replaced it with the dead one I saved for just such an occassion.

I left a 3 foot section of return hose on the outside of the pool connected to the return.

I put a plug in the end of this hose and then eleveated that plugged end above the level of the pool.

So this means that I have a 3' section of hose that has about 18" of water in it. I am wondering if this hose will freeze and split, or will the air cushion that is in the hose be enough?

This is my first year closing this pool. The previous owner (who I did not talk to about anything, this was a short sale and we bought the house in the winter) had drained the pool to below the return, and then connected the return hose directly to the skimmer. I guess this was so that if the cover collected water, nothing would come out of the return. Of course this resulted in the skimmer being full of water (and then ice). It is a wonder it did not crack.

Any ideas / comments about how I plugged the return?

Thanks

-dave

I have one of these lights too. I remove the light, cover the outside hole with my left hand and stick a rubber plug on the inside with my other hand. Then I remove the hose. The hole the light goes through is a standard size. Helps to put a bit of o-ring grease on the plug then just tighten the wing nut.

As for the skimmer, I put a cover over mine so it stays empty all winter.

MikeInNH said:
I have one of these lights too. I remove the light, cover the outside hole with my left hand and stick a rubber plug on the inside with my other hand. Then I remove the hose. The hole the light goes through is a standard size. Helps to put a bit of o-ring grease on the plug then just tighten the wing nut.

As for the skimmer, I put a cover over mine so it stays empty all winter.

Nothing comes out "around" the plug? The return water comes out around the light, and I didn't see any channels on the light, so I assumed they were in the body of the unit. I have to go to the pool store for a cover anyway (thanks to the dog thinking he could walk across ths one I have on now) so I'll pick up a plug and try it.

Thanks

-dave

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.