Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: ABG pool closing - question about return

1. Back To Top    #1

ABG pool closing - question about return

My ABG has a Pentair Aqualuminator on the return. What this means is that I cannot put a plug in the return (the return water comes out around the light)

Here is what I did when closing.

I removed the working bulb that is in there and replaced it with the dead one I saved for just such an occassion.

I left a 3 foot section of return hose on the outside of the pool connected to the return.

I put a plug in the end of this hose and then eleveated that plugged end above the level of the pool.

So this means that I have a 3' section of hose that has about 18" of water in it. I am wondering if this hose will freeze and split, or will the air cushion that is in the hose be enough?

This is my first year closing this pool. The previous owner (who I did not talk to about anything, this was a short sale and we bought the house in the winter) had drained the pool to below the return, and then connected the return hose directly to the skimmer. I guess this was so that if the cover collected water, nothing would come out of the return. Of course this resulted in the skimmer being full of water (and then ice). It is a wonder it did not crack.

Any ideas / comments about how I plugged the return?

Thanks

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: ABG pool closing - question about return

I have one of these lights too. I remove the light, cover the outside hole with my left hand and stick a rubber plug on the inside with my other hand. Then I remove the hose. The hole the light goes through is a standard size. Helps to put a bit of o-ring grease on the plug then just tighten the wing nut.

As for the skimmer, I put a cover over mine so it stays empty all winter.
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)

3. Back To Top    #3

Quote Originally Posted by MikeInNH
    I have one of these lights too. I remove the light, cover the outside hole with my left hand and stick a rubber plug on the inside with my other hand. Then I remove the hose. The hole the light goes through is a standard size. Helps to put a bit of o-ring grease on the plug then just tighten the wing nut.

As for the skimmer, I put a cover over mine so it stays empty all winter.

Nothing comes out "around" the plug? The return water comes out around the light, and I didn't see any channels on the light, so I assumed they were in the body of the unit. I have to go to the pool store for a cover anyway (thanks to the dog thinking he could walk across ths one I have on now) so I'll pick up a plug and try it.

Thanks

-dave
    27' Round ABG (17,000 gal) - +/- 11 hours of full sun per day
    Hard plumbed Hayward Perflex EC-40 DE filter w/ 1 HP pump (Got a new one June 2015)
    Filered 4 hours per day (on a timer)
    Pentair Aqualuminator - now working - and now dead once again, this time for good.
    Zodiac Wahoo

4. Back To Top    #4

Nope, if like mine once the light and surrounding light cover is removed you have a nice smooth pipe to plug up. If it looks like the light in the link below, the water just goes between the light and the plastic piece it fits into.
    http://www.aquasupercenter.com/products ... 4Aod23cA0A

I use one of these guys to plug it pushed in from the water side of the pool then tighten the wing nut. http://www.poolproducts.com/SPP/product ... 0&e9=W1100
    Mike
    2007 1st full year with AG pool~15k gallons 18'x33' JW
    6/2010 added 2 button Intex SWG-painless except for when reset
    Switched to BBB from Baquacil (couldn't pay me to go back)