Nervous about my first closing

run53

LifeTime Supporter
May 4, 2010
Hi guys,

I’ve been referencing this forum and the TFT-100 kit since I built my pool in 2006. The info I’ve garnered from the folks here has kept my pool crystal clear the entire time (this is my 6th season). A huge thanks to all the experts here!!!!

Well, this year, I decided to save myself $250 by winterizing the pool by myself. I closed it a few days ago but I want to get some confirmation from the experts here about how I did it. Here is a summary of what I did (I basically watched the pool company in previous years and took notes). I did NOT lower the water as they have never done that in the past.

1) From the pool store, I rented a commercial blower and a special pump cover that allows the blower hose to attach to the pump (cost was $15).
2) I attached the setup and turned on the blower. The closest skimmer started bubbling. I waited a couple of minutes then screwed a tall gizmo in (I used Teflon tape on all threads).
3) Next skimmer started to blow and I did the same.
4) Next, the main drain started to blow. Waited a few minutes and closed the main drain valve at the pad to create a vacuum.
5) Next the pressure side started to blow, First the Polaris booster line, followed by the 3 returns, one at a time. Plugged each one at a time waiting a couple of minutes of bubbling before plugging.
6) Once all the lines were plugged, I started removing the drain plugs on the equipment. Polaris booster pump, heater, pressure gauge on the DE filter and finally the pump itself.
7) Then I stopped the blower, disassembled/cleaned the filter, then removed the SWG cell from the return line and plugged both ends with rubber stoppers.
8) Install loop-loc cover
9) Cross fingers

The thing I am most worried about is if I got all the water out of the lines as I live in northern Mass. The pool store suggested I add anti-freeze to the lines for protection. I want to see what the experts here think about that. Here is my take……please correct me if I’m wrong……………

Since all of my returns and skimmer lines come out of the pool and head down 90 degrees to the bottom of the pool (3.5 feet) before heading back to the pad, then the only sections of the lines that I need to be concerned about would be the section of pvc from the 90 degree drop and where the lines go back up to enter the equipment pad.

So, how does pouring anti-freeze into the lines actually protect anything? I suppose it would be an added insurance, in case I didn’t do a great job plugging things up and some water got into the lines. Then the antifreeze (that would have settled to the lowest level of each line) would mix with any errant water that enters the line and if the water rises up above the 3-4 ft level (i.e climbs the wall of the pool to the 90 degree elbow) it would be mixed with anti-freeze, thus preventing any freeze-up.

Actually, the equipment pad is a couple of feet below the top of the pool so as the grade drops down by the pad, that section of pipe is probably only 1-2 ft below grade. So I guess the anti-freeze might protect that section if some water gets in somehow.

Please help by either confirming my thoughts or being brutally critical while I still have time to correct things. As of now, I am not sleeping at night, worrying about whether I am closing the pool correctly or not :(

At this point, I almost wish I payed the $250 to the pool store to close it up :oops: .

then the antifreeze (that would have settled to the lowest level of each line) would mix with any errant water that enters the line and if the water rises up above the 3-4 ft level (i.e climbs the wall of the pool to the 90 degree elbow) it would be mixed with anti-freeze, thus preventing any freeze-up.

Actually ,the more I think of it, the more I don't agree with my own statement above. I don't think anti-freeze and water will mix. I believe the antifreeze is heavier than water and will remain on the bottom, thus not protecting that are above the freeze line. Does anyone agree with this? Then my question stands......how does adding 1 gallon of antifreeze to the returns and 1 gallon to the skimmer lines help anything (1 gallon of each is what the pool company adds)? It will just sink to the bottom of the lines, which is already below the freeze line. The only way for the antifreeze to protect above the freeze line is if you add enough to fill it to the plugs.

Am I missing something here?

You can add as much antifreeze as you want. But you are correct in both aspects.....you will never get 100% of the water out of the lines, hence the need for antifreeze. I dump a gallon in one at a time. I close valves and turn my shop-vac on to distribute the antifreeze to that particular plumbing run, until I see pink coming out of the returns. Cap off and repeat through the rest of the system.

You can always check your work, too. Once you have distributed, take the lid off your pump. Should be some pink in there. Take the lid off of your unused in-line tab feeder....should be some pink in there.

You want the majority of the antifreeze at the lowest point in the plumbing. If water gets in, it will head there and meet up with antifreeze.

run53 said:
Please help by either confirming my thoughts or being brutally critical while I still have time to correct things. As of now, I am not sleeping at night, worrying about whether I am closing the pool correctly or not :(

I live in worcester county and the way you did your closing is how i do mine. Never used a drop of antifreeze. Look at it this way. Any water left in the lines will seek its lowest point; which is probably about 3.5 feet down under the ground. Even in Massachusetts, we aint gettin no 3.5 foot deep freeze. Your fine. Stop doubting yourself.

bk406 said:
run53 said:

I live in worcester county and the way you did your closing is how i do mine. Never used a drop of antifreeze. Look at it this way. Any water left in the lines will seek its lowest point; which is probably about 3.5 feet down under the ground. Even in Massachusetts, we aint gettin no 3.5 foot deep freeze. Your fine. Stop doubting yourself.

I agree with you but I am a worrier by nature. What if one of my plugs or gizmo develops a leak? The pool guy says that since I am a newbie to closing a pool it wouldn't hurt to add some anti-freeze "just in case". Kinda like an insurance policy. He said I should add 1 gallon to skimmer and 1 gallon to return line. So I guess I could do that without too much expense. What could it hurt?

In case I decide to add some, I found pink DOW RV antifreeze in Home Depot for $4.98/gal. Is that the same stuff that the pool store sells for $14.98?

run53 said:
What if one of my plugs or gizmo develops a leak?

And if it does water gets back in the line, the antifreeze leaks out into the pool and it does no good anyway :mrgreen:
Seriously, stop worring. You winterized fine.

run53 said:
In case I decide to add some, I found pink DOW RV antifreeze in Home Depot for $4.98/gal. Is that the same stuff that the pool store sells for $14.98?

Yep.
Add some if you like if it eases your mind. Wont hurt anything

bk406 said:
run53 said:
What if one of my plugs or gizmo develops a leak?

And if it does water gets back in the line, the antifreeze leaks out into the pool and it does no good anyway :mrgreen:
Seriously, stop worring. You winterized fine.

run53 said:

Yep.
Add some if you like if it eases your mind. Wont hurt anything

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I am feeling better already :-D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.