Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Hayward ColorLogic 2.5 Troubleshooting

1. Back To Top    #1

Hayward ColorLogic 2.5 Troubleshooting

Need a bit of help please. Went to turn on my pool light today and the GFI breaker was tripped. Reset breaker, then hit the switch and keep tripping the breaker. Hoping that this is just a connection issue in the junction box, but just in case, what troubleshooting can be done? Anyway to check the light other than pulling it out and replacing?? Acts like a dead short as it trips the breaker so quick. Any help is greatly appreciated!!
    16,000 IG, SWG, 175 sq. ft. cartridge, 1.5 hp pump, vinyl, Charlotte NC
    TF-100, Pool School, Pool-Calc

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: Hayward ColorLogic 2.5 Troubleshooting

I'd probably pull the fixture out of the niche up on to the deck and remove the lens and check for moisture inside the fixture. If there is moisture in the fixture it's likely causing the GFCI to trip.
    8.5k gallon IG pebble sheen play pool with Intellitouch control, Intellifo VF, IC 20, Rainbow tab feeder (not currently in use), Pentaire mystery cartridge filter with labels faded to the point I have no idea on the model, Intellibrite 5g LED light, Hayward Navigator. Adding IntelliPh and Crestron control next.

3. Back To Top    #3

Any other ideas like checking across leads and what resistance should be present?

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry

You can try disconnecting the wires to the fixture at the junction box, reset breaker, turn on light. If breaker trips, problem is bad breaker or wire between junction box and breaker.

If it doesn't trip, problem is between junction box and light fixture (likely water in fixture).
    In the industry, CSP (Certified Service Professional) by the NSPI and it's successor the APSP. My company services over 600 pools every year. I think the practices regularly espoused on this forum (especially the BBB method) are outstanding; however my comments will be often oriented towards the goal of getting it done, and getting it done right now!

5. Back To Top    #5

Follow-up question...If water/moisture is in the fixture, is it hosed??
    Thanks!!!

6. Back To Top    #6

In the Industry

Ditto on Qwaxalot.
    I dont believe there are any serviceable parts in those lights.
    Just throw a ways.

7. Back To Top    #7

Update...again...
    Opened the junction box, took the remote switch (Intermatic RC613) out of the circuit and the light worked great. Made all new connection in the box and put the remote switch back in the circuit...worked great...for several hours. Now tripping the GFCI breaker again ....errrrrr. What's the chance that the GFCI breaker is flaking out one me? A bit stumped on this one. My thought is to switch to another GFCI breaker that is availble and check my grounds in the panel too. Don't think it is a good idea to NOT use a GFCI breaker for the light. Thoughts????
    Thanks again!!!!

8. Back To Top    #8

GFCI's are required for eveything electrical around the pool. If you have another similarly rated GFCI breaker in your panel, it would be reasonable to try swapping the breakers and see if the problem persists.

I did find a listing on the internet for a gasket for a color logic spa light, so it's possible that your light can also be dissasembled. I'd have your favorite purveyor of pool parts check and see if there is a replacment gasket available for your light since you will want to replace the gasket if you end up dissasembling your light.
    8.5k gallon IG pebble sheen play pool with Intellitouch control, Intellifo VF, IC 20, Rainbow tab feeder (not currently in use), Pentaire mystery cartridge filter with labels faded to the point I have no idea on the model, Intellibrite 5g LED light, Hayward Navigator. Adding IntelliPh and Crestron control next.

9. Back To Top    #9

Houston....We found the problem!! I switched the GFCI breaker and bingo, issue appears to be resolved. Looks like I had a breaker that may have been a bit "sensitive", or it could be making new tight connections at the breaker was the problem. Either way, working great after many on/off cycles. Thanks to everyone for your input and guidance. This forum rocks because of the great folks here that ALWAYS offer good, sound advice.
    Thanks again!!!
    SamiGuy