Using Foam Rope for Winterizing

weezle

Sep 23, 2012
When inserting the foam rope in the main drain and the return jets, is it supposed to go straight in, or is there some bending and cramming involved? I am a first time pool closer and my pool is 3 years old. When I try to get the foam rope into the main drain, it can't go down because there is water there and it just floats up. I'm not sure if I am supposed to suck all that water out of the main drain with a shop vac. Can you please advise?

weezle said:
I was told it acts as a sponge to absorb any water that may still be in the lines after blowing them. But not really sure about the concept.

No, it doesn't absorb water but leaves expansion space for the ice if the line fills with water and freezes. It is closed cell backer rod.

Thanks John, I appreciate it, though I'm still unclear how putting it in will CREATE space for ice to expand. John, can you tell me then also, if the piece must go straight in, or can it be folded and stuffed in. Thanks

weezle said:
Thanks John, I appreciate it, though I'm still unclear how putting it in will CREATE space for ice to expand. John, can you tell me then also, if the piece must go straight in, or can it be folded and stuffed in. Thanks

I'm not familiar with this use - but since it is closed cell it will not absorb much water (just like pool noodle) and it will displace water volume in the pipe. If ice then forms and expands it is compressible unlike the rigid PVC pipe and so it will prevent the ice from pushing the pipe until it bursts by allowing the ice another direction in which to expand (away from the pipe). I would guess it is fine to run it in lengthwise but I'm not an expert on this and I don't know how far you can get yours to go in before a bend in the line stops you from getting it in further.

My uncle who was in the biz for many years, has used a standard garden hose, sealed on the ends and slid into the bottom drain pipes, since this is not practical to seal. As indicated, with water freezing, it pushes into the hose and keeps from bursting PVC (in theory). I have never done this, but sounds interesting.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.