Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Ground prep area for 18' Ultra Frame Intex with pics

1. Back To Top    #1

Ground prep area for 18' Ultra Frame Intex with pics

So this year we decided to purchase an 18' Ultra Frame, but we got everything late in the season, and being in NY we decided to wait until next spring to put it up. This gives me more time to prep the area. From the pics, you can see I have some rocks to move, but if I plan on putting down a couple of inches of sand and the insulation board, how anal do I really need to get with removing the rocks? Can I just get the major larger rocks and get away with leaving the smaller pebbles and rocks?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Intex Ultra Frame 18'x48"
    Intex 14-Inch Krystal Clear Sand Filter Pump
    Intex Intex Krystal Clear Salt System (not yet installed)

2. Back To Top    #2

San Jose, CA

Re: Ground prep area for 18' Ultra Frame Intex with pics

We just put up a similar 16' x 48" Ultraframe. Our site had to be dug down about 6 inches on the uphill side. Our ground is so full of rock every time I pulled up one small one, I'd find two more. We unearthed the large boulder in the pic attached. Since I didn't want a huge hole to fill, we used a jackhammer to split off the part above the final grade (it was soft sandstone). Take a look at the pile of rocks behind the site! That's just a small sample of what I had to remove. I had to put some base rock on the low side where it ended up an inch or so lower than I wanted, but that compacts real well and doesn't move around much at all.

For your site, I'd rake it with a landscape rake until you don't feel the rake hanging up on anything large. Then, a thin layer of sand or fines (that compact better than sand) and your foam should turn out fine. You probably don't want anything bigger than an olive when you're done raking.

Good luck next spring.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    5000 gal, Intex 16'x48" above ground, Intex 2000gph cartridge filter w/SWG, TF100 Test Kit

3. Back To Top    #3
    TFP Guide
    Central PA

Rocks can and will push their way up through the sand if you leave to many near the surface.
    26' X 52" Intex Ultra Frame. Intex Sand Filter
    26' X 52 Intex Ultra Frame Install
    You can lead a horse to (clear) water, but you can't force him to swim in it!

4. Back To Top    #4
    Sault Ontario

Not if you use insulating boards, if your using boards you don't need to go overboard on the rock removal.
    20' X 54" Sharkline Matrix Resin AGP, 9400 Gallons, Sta-Rite 1 HP Dynamo Pump, 150 lb Pentair Sand Filter, Gorilla Pad,
    Foam Cove, Taylor K-2006 kit, BBB method, 8'X20' Fafco Sunsaver Hard Plumb, DIY Fountain, Margarittaville Fiji

My Build: one-man-one-pool-and-one-deck-agp-pics-t37172.html
    My Build 'To-Do' List for other DIY'ers: my-pool-build-list-t40249.html?hilit=list